• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone With Brake Failures

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember when this hit the news. Deuce brake failures are the result from lack of PMCS and inspections before hitting the road. As these trucks continue to age they will become more frequent. Most failures are due to lack of brake fluid more so than lack of air. This could be a leaky wheel cylinder, internal failure on airpack, corrosion on a hard line, or more. Again.. lack of maintenance.

I've had 2 failures in while in motion over the near 100 deuces I've had, both were "new to me" trucks out of surplus. One blew a hard line when approaching an intersection and I was able to pull through a gas station then kill the engine in gear to stop. The other had an internal failure in the pack where it syphoned fluid into the air system until it bled it dry. It was noticeable and controllable to get it home at low speed.

Captaincarrier

I remember when this hit the news. Deuce brake failures are the result from lack of PMCS and inspections before hitting the road. As these trucks continue to age they will become more frequent. Most failures are due to lack of brake fluid more so than lack of air. This could be a leaky wheel cylinder, internal failure on airpack, corrosion on a hard line, or more. Again.. lack of maintenance.

I've had 2 failures in while in motion over the near 100 deuces I've had, both were "new to me" trucks out of surplus. One blew a hard line when approaching an intersection and I was able to pull through a gas station then kill the engine in gear to stop. The other had an internal failure in the pack where it syphoned fluid into the air system until it bled it dry. It was noticeable and controllable to get it home at low speed.

Good info!

m715mike

I just ran across this on youtube

Does anyone else have a similar story of the brakes failing with them on their deuce? I know all it takes is one airline to be cut

I remember that too:

I agree with @fuzzytoaster - maintenance and inspects are key to safe operation. I’ll take that a step further and say that safe and defensive driving practices are also important.

I lost a wheel cylinder shortly after acquiring my Deuce. I’ve also lost an air line and experienced a rapid loss of air pressure. Leaving distance between my truck and the car in front of me is probably the only reason I didn’t have a wreck.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loss of air on an Air-over-hydrualic system will not kill the brakes, just the boost.

Actually, a fail-safe aspect from that point of view.

As stated, most brake failures are the result of neglect.

DG

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years ago an elderly guy pulled out in front of my M35A3. Once he saw me, he panicked and came to a stop directly blocking my lane. A truck was coming in the other lane and the right of my lane was blocked so I couldn't swerve out of the way. I don't remember the exact speed I was going, but it was something in the neighborhood of 35 - 40 mph, less than the 55 mph limit. I stood on the brake pedal with all I had and locked up all wheels. Suddenly, I heard a small pop and I lost some of my braking, but the deuce finally came to a stop with my winch about one foot from the guy's door. The guy had no idea how close he came to death. A steel brake line split several inches in length. There was no evidence of any corrosion, it simply split. I believe the line was defective when manufactured. I was really glad my M35A3 has a split brake system.

HDN

Every time I'm under the truck draining the air tanks I look at backing plate of each wheel and the rim for evidence of leaking brake fluid. While driving leave enough stopping distance in front of me in case I have a problem or the driver in front of me has one. And when I see a stop sign or a sign indicating a stop ahead I test my brakes to make sure they'll slow the truck down.

I've lost front brakes on a '99 Wrangler once - hope I never experience that on anything again, even if I still have some brakes left!

kenn

Are there any pre-made kits to replace the rubber lines/fittings with something a bit more robust? It seems like all the vendors have the same rubber said and I'm concerned they are another chicom failure waiting to happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks