• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arctic Kits- how do they work and how can I fake one?

hobie237

So the actual kits are rarer than hens' teeth, that's well established. So, can you guys help me understand how they work so that I can make my own? I figure it doesn't really have to even be diesel powered, I got no problem running gasoline and/or propane for it. I also see that there are some "swingfire" heater kits and other heaters for other vehicles available. Is it critical that I get the actual unit, or would one of these do the trick?

From what I understand they plumb into the coolant and/or oil pan. Is it critical that I get the oil pan or would just the coolant system do the trick?

I think a pre-heater like this would be great for a WVO conversion, too. So, please, share photos (doesn't even have to be a CUCV setup, since I'm trying to understand the operating principles) and knowledge. Thanks!

98hd

You could get an aftermarket Espar coolant heater? That would keep the engine warm, and the cab w/ the coolant heater, if you wire the fan to come on w/ the coolant heater.

Jetnoise400

Here are a couple pics of the kit installed in an M1009 I used to have...

Essentially, there are insulated boxes that the batteries go into, and they have a heater that blows hot air into both boxes. Also, the engine oil pan and transmission oil pan have an extra "chamber" attached to the bottom of them with metal flex pipes that send hot air from the heater down to the pans to keep things warm. Another heater heats up the coolant.

There's an install manual posted in the manuals section that has all the parts and where they go.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

hobie237

Thanks for the photos, got any more? I read through the manual briefly and it will certainly help. There are guys in the classifieds selling Swingfire heaters (not sure what they are) and the M151 kits- think I could make either of those work? The Espar units seem kind of pricey.