• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are beadlocks street legal?

quince

:confused: I am looking to swap over to the super singles, but I was wondering if it is legal to drive on the highway if I were to put beadlocks on? Any one know?

Monster Man

as of about 1 month ago there are no beadlock rims that are DOT approved, but I do remember a manufacturer was about to come out with some. But, on the whole they are not, each rim will need to be certified and there are none for deuces. But, then again the tires and rims on the deuce are not DOT approved but fall under federal design guidelines so they are exempt. I'd think you'd be able to get away with it if it's something that remotely resembles what the military used.

FSBruva

So the options (if going supersingle) are to

try and find A3 rims or
get streetlegal rims, and lose the beadlock capability?

Where would be the best place to get 20" rims of appropriate strength, capacity and looks to go on the deuce?

Thanks

Matt

Monster Man

honestly, I'd just run beadlocks or whatever rims you find. The chances of getting hassled are not very great, but just bear in mind they aren't "technically" legal, then again nothing else on the deuce is. If a patrolman were to really be looking for something (and ignore the fact the trucks are exempt) they can get you for bumper height, no muffler, no clearance lights, headlights being too high, etc.

quince

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and get the beadlocks. Got any idea of the best place to find a set without paying to much?

spicergear

As far as I've heard, 'Hutchinson Engineering' is the only street legal beadlock. I think they're mid and full size truck stuff though.
I wouldn't worry about the legality of it. Military trucks just look right with beadlocks...everyone see's that, half expects it. Nobody should raise and eyebrow about it. Just BS them if they do..."well MILITARY beadlocks are street legal, you see them in road convoys right?...you think uncle sam would risk that?" Then turn around and laugh. [^]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks