• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Artisan's M916

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Apparently, my eyesight is not good .... The CV joint on my truck is no where near little, and my vibration has started 3 years after owning this truck. I will try the mounts first, and then the major mod if this does not fix the issue. I am running this truck as a commercial vehicle, and have to worry about DOT!

I did find that in the Technical Manuals for this truck (TM 9-2320-273-24P) , call for the LORD mount of CB1009-9. Could not find anything on-line or at the surplus websites. Talking with AM General, the FSCM number is the same thing as the Cage Code. When you look up Cage Code and the numerical number following it, the manufacturer of that part number is known. AM General cannot give out data or dimensions on any part to civilians, even on obsolete parts. Talked with LORD, numerous times, and they do not have the data on this mount. They are calling it an obsolete part. LORD finally came up with a substitute of CB-1125-12. This is CB1125-12, per the Military, with a NSN of 5325-01-086-3949, which is the Part Number for the M915A1 mid mounts. These are still available, and this is for anyone's information.

I agree wit WillWagner, LORD was not willing to help much, and wanted me to provide the measurements, to them, for the CB1009-9, which should be in THEIR data sheets.
The hockey picks are alot more rigid and take more vibration

Snap a picture of your jackshaft since there are prototype trucks from Northrop grumman that are different builds than the common RRAD done

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do the hockey pucks center themselves in the cross member holes? What is the durometer rating on them? What length sleeve did you install into them to get the correct pressure into the mounts to isolate the vibrations the engine creates from the chassis and keep things from walking around? Do the pucks elasticity change from cold to hot temps?

Hockey pucks are just that, hockey pucks. Meant to be slapped around on ice with a stick into a net then make a reason for us to drink beer.

Engine mounts, or the correct term, vibration isolators, are meant to do just that. isolate the harmonic vibrations from something and prevent other issues, in the case these vehicles, nasty vibrations through the chassis into the drivers compartment and annoying the operator, but more importantly, preventing damage to other items like cross members, drive line components, frames, cab interior parts, and all the other stuff on the truck. Electronic components can be knocked out by vibrations depending on the frequency. Just about every rotating component can be damaged by a vibration, depending on it's frequency, length of time exposed to the frequency and the severity of it.

Will a hockey puck work, yes, but so will a chunk of steel, aluminum, wood. Will it do what a vibration isolator is designed to do, no.

Out on the farm, in the mud, off road, the above will get you by, but on the road, it will not work well for long.

And, yes, I do realize that you have a ton of miles under your but in the seat of the 900 series.

I love ya Wes, but some things are wrong and should be done correctly not just for the vehicles sake, but others around the vehicle.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How do the hockey pucks center themselves in the cross member holes? What is the durometer rating on them? What length sleeve did you install into them to get the correct pressure into the mounts to isolate the vibrations the engine creates from the chassis and keep things from walking around? Do the pucks elasticity change from cold to hot temps?

Hockey pucks are just that, hockey pucks. Meant to be slapped around on ice with a stick into a net then make a reason for us to drink beer.

Engine mounts, or the correct term, vibration isolators, are meant to do just that. isolate the harmonic vibrations from something and prevent other issues, in the case these vehicles, nasty vibrations through the chassis into the drivers compartment and annoying the operator, but more importantly, preventing damage to other items like cross members, drive line components, frames, cab interior parts, and all the other stuff on the truck. Electronic components can be knocked out by vibrations depending on the frequency. Just about every rotating component can be damaged by a vibration, depending on it's frequency, length of time exposed to the frequency and the severity of it.

Will a hockey puck work, yes, but so will a chunk of steel, aluminum, wood. Will it do what a vibration isolator is designed to do, no.

Out on the farm, in the mud, off road, the above will get you by, but on the road, it will not work well for long.

And, yes, I do realize that you have a ton of miles under your but in the seat of the 900 series.

I love ya Wes, but some things are wrong and should be done correctly not just for the vehicles sake, but others around the vehicle.
You can add the lots of miles to a 915a1 (180k mi) and a 920(95k miles) as Google is a pretty good stalker.

Hockey pucks are rated at 90. Same as the mounts used in racing. You simply remove the metal sleeve from the old mounts drill and install everything with the weight on the pucks. The sleeve is the same size as the hole in the mount so it has a slight interference fit if you tried to drive it thru the top mount.

I had a rubber material company make some new isolators and have used different hardness and they all seem to just tear apart in months and they were made off an existing pair of stock mounts. The frame flex on the 915a1s is pretty bad. Especially with a load on the rear winch it had.

When it comes to the engine rubber used on these trucks is build by the lowest bidder and each truck came with a stock of 100 spares in the budget that should tell you everything you need to know about the rubber quality.

He's running a 920 as a dump. Something used primarily for offroad use. Not highway speeds.

Kickin

Well, not completely .... I am running this converted M920 up and down the highway to the quarries and to my customers. I also have a tag trailer on this truck hauling medium Caterpillars and larger farm tractors. True, I have went into fields and dumped loads and barely got out with the 6x6, but she walked out! So all in all, I would say half on road and half off road, guessing of course, and at road speeds topping out the 56 MPH, unless going down hill and making it to 60 MPH!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, not completely .... I am running this converted M920 up and down the highway to the quarries and to my customers. I also have a tag trailer on this truck hauling medium Caterpillars and larger farm tractors. True, I have went into fields and dumped loads and barely got out with the 6x6, but she walked out! So all in all, I would say half on road and half off road, guessing of course, and at road speeds topping out the 56 MPH, unless going down hill and making it to 60 MPH!
I put an RTOO-14613 in my 920 along with a 2 speed transfer case. Running 12R24.5 drives and 445 65 22.5 steers it would get up to 79.

If it has the 7 spd allison it should be able to get to atleast 70 or 74 all day long

Kickin

Fair enough ... But I am not grinding down the front drums for the 22.5s and cannot afford to upgrade this truck, at this time ... Besides, I have spares, should I have a drive tire go down. Just trying to supplement a retirement with hauling and digging in the ground ... Don't see the need to spend the bucks to go over 56 MPH in the hills around me ... Just don't need the speed, the limit on MOST of the highways to the quarries are 55 MPH anyway! I70 likes to see me going down the road and wave as they pass me by! Fuel is too high to push this beast down the road any faster, and create more wind resistance than it already has! Tried to get the performance program for the TCM, but our local mechanics could not get anything but the Military Global program. Mine actually came out with a worse program that lugged the beast, and this program is better, not great!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fair enough ... But I am not grinding down the front drums for the 22.5s and cannot afford to upgrade this truck, at this time ... Besides, I have spares, should I have a drive tire go down. Just trying to supplement a retirement with hauling and digging in the ground ... Don't see the need to spend the bucks to go over 56 MPH in the hills around me ... Just don't need the speed, the limit on MOST of the highways to the quarries are 55 MPH anyway! I70 likes to see me going down the road and wave as they pass me by! Fuel is too high to push this beast down the road any faster, and create more wind resistance than it already has! Tried to get the performance program for the TCM, but our local mechanics could not get anything but the Military Global program. Mine actually came out with a worse program that lugged the beast, and this program is better, not great!
@fuzzytoaster can give you the correct flash program or maybe trade you a TCM that we have had done for better shift points to maximize the motor. The 3 to 4 gear rpm drop is brutal and it's hard to get the rpms back up. We span the shift point up to 2350rpms so when it goes to 4th gear it's at 1800rpms over 1400.

Kickin

AM General no longer makes any parts for the trucks, just the Humvees. Did find out that Midwest Military Equipment can get them and Eastern Surplus can get them. Miswest was a little cheaper, so they got the order!

Kickin

Working with FuzzyToaster, we kinda hit a wall. I did find a way for the shift patterns to be altered. This is what I shared with FuzzyToaster:

Found a place that will work on the gear ratios. Clarke Power Services worked on my TCM and it is shifting much better than before. I went to the one in Wentzville, MO, about 245 mile trip. Had to take the whole truck for them to test drive it after the re-config. So far, this is working TONS better than the original BS they came out for this truck configuration!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks