• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

at the end of my rope!!!

ohfisherman

alright....1984 m1009. started right up and ran for about 3 minutes and conked out. will not restart. will fire with some diesel down the intake. hooked up an electric fuel pump directly the the injector line (bypassing the filter) and still no start. fuel pump seems to be pumping fine (only 6 months old). when i crack the bleeder on the filter fuel comes out but seems like its got a little air in it. the solenoid on top of the injector is working. when key is forward and you pull the wire off and on it does click on and off. so in my mind i have eliminated the fuel pump and the filter as problems. should i bleed the injectors? sound like a bad injector pump? please help!!! my other truck is killing me in fuel. any opinion on trying a used injector pump? any one know a place to get a IP, new or used? thanks again...this is my second week of dealing with this...:roll:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Be careful dumping diesel in the intake, to much, and you could do some damage.

Sounds like the IP has gone south. Have you cranked the engine with an injector line cracked?

mangus580

If your bleeder screw appears to have ANY air in it, thats why it wont run.

Silly question.... but are you SURE you have enough in the tank?

ohfisherman

added 5 gallons of fresh diesel. thats the first thing i thought of. even bypassing the filter and hooking an electric pump directly to the IP it still would not start. could that be caused by air in the injector lines or does it definitely sound like a dead pump? i will try to crack a line later today...

acmunro

If you remove the IP return line and fitting and turn your electric fuel pump on do you get a steady flow of fuel without air bubbles ? If there are air bubbles there it won't run and you won't be able to bleed the air out of the system.

kipman

I had a problem with my m1009, slow and steady did the job, turned out the military ran it dry and it set for who knows how long. When I got fuel at the injectors it still would not fire, used wd 40 and it caught, that was all it took, drove it to haspin and got 26.5 mpg.:p

jimm1009

dead CUCV

Try pulling out most of the glow plugs. If you get a mist or fog out of the glow plug holes you are getting fuel. No fog-- and If you have established good fuel at the filter then crack all of the injector nuts and bleed there first. Once you have dripping fuel out the high pressure lines, then tighten them and motor until you get the fog (atomized fuel) out of the glow plug holes.
You shold start then.
CAUTION: Take this slow or you can burn out your starter. Motor for 30 seconds or so then wait a few minutes. Motor again and then wait for several minutes. I use a battery charger between motoring cycles to help replenish the batteries.
Air leaks are a real Bi#ch for diesels. If you get fuel and you already have air, then it has to fire unless you have a mechanical failure.
Good luck and keep us posted with updates as it always helps to learn from others trials and tribulations.

Jim

Last edited:

ohfisherman

but the only thing i do not understand is why it ran fine and then died. if i had air in the lines then i probably would have not even started, right? i am still going to try to bleed it out first....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a possible solution.

You may have an air leak in the fuel line. The rubber hose coming off the mechanical fuel pump to the steel line going to the fuel filter is known ot wear out. What happens is the right side motor mount wears out and allows the engine to drop. This allows the rubber line to rub on the cross member

If you have access to an air compressor with an airgun you might try this. Remove the fuel cap at the tank. Use a shoprag around the airgun and preasurize the tank. Not much. If you have a leak you will see fuel somewhere it shouldn't be.

If there is air in the system you will need to bleed all of the injectors.

Good luck.

Warthog

motormayhem

Mine had no symptoms of a problem. I drove it 200mi the day before without trouble and started it the next day without trouble or symptoms and 3Mi later I was on the side of the road with a bad ip.

landry1

I have the same problem as you... what I do is on the returning line of fuel pump take it off and put your finger over it and completely block it. Start it and it will get going. put the line back on it should fire over. works every time

dieselpony

The valve on the return line on top of the ip could be clogged. This sometimes leads to strange things on the engine. Early pumps do have an internal seal that dissolve. The small parts plug the return valve. There's a transparent spring loaded ball inside the valve. So without any dirt in it you should be able to see through it. If not, try to clean it. I didn't use compressed air but just a match or tothpick to compress and then blow inside. If you discover any debris there the ip needs a change of internals.

Walter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks