• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Austern western oweners

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For you M108, m60, m62, m246, and m819 owners , I would inspect your spare tire mount STUDS for cracking, when I dropped my spare, TWO broke, upon inspection I found evidence of long term cracking, I would hate to see my 1200x20 spare rolling next to me or worse, bouncing off of cars, would be a VERY BAD DAY.

The way the spare mount is designed with the it being static, it picks up road vibration, with that said and most of the spares have not been down in years if at all, some rust, vibration, a bit of looseness is a scenario for someone having a VERY BAD DAY

PLEASE CHECK THE STUDS
I'm going to build a lot stronger spare mount

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Thanks for the tip Ron,I actually sheared the studs off of my M62 a year or so ago(I forgot the towbar was sitting in the storage aera below the spare).

I've gotta fix that soon.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where exactly were the cracks? Around base or along the stud?
I will be checking this weekend since it is in a storage yard. groan
Bruce

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the cracks were right where the stud goes into the cast boss, i would guess stress cracks from over the years flexing, even minor flexing will cause a crack in time

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks