• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Austin Western bed disassembly pics(M108,M62,M246,M819)

AMGeneral

Well folks,Just thought I would post a few pics for those of you that have never seen the AW bed on your Deuce or 5 ton taken apart.

Before I get flamed for scrapping it,this boom is really buchered up,lots of torched holes and extra welding done,not even close to being safe to lift ANYTHING!!

I am parting it out for spares for my M62A1,just thought I would share a few pics.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Neat-so that's where the oil reservoir(s) are in an A/W.

It's thinner than I thought it would be.

AMGeneral

Neat-so that's where the oil reservoir(s) are in an A/W.

It's thinner than I thought it would be.

Actually clinto,the oil reservoir is remotely mounted on a AW boom,usually centered on the bed between the boom base and cab back.

The 2 round cylinders in the base are the hyd swivel assmy and the boom hoist cylinder,the hoist cylinder has almost an 8 in bore.

The first pic shows the extension cylinder for the boom,it's about 12 ft long collapsed and weighs about 450 lbs,it is double pinned to the inner boom section.

This being a M246 boom,it has a different method of rotating the base than a M108 or M62 eccentric cylinder setup,it has a worm/bull gear setup with an actual hyd motor attached(seen in the lower right of pic 4)

I already have all the seal kits for both cylinders and the valve body so they can be rebuilt and replace the leaking ones in the M62A1,hopefully I can remedy the odd AW hyd fitting issue while it's apart for rebuild.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

That poor poor thing. I would love to put the 819 boom on my truck!
Well Gimpy,I would save ya the inner 2 boom sections,but they aren't safe to use,they have about a 2 inch curve to them over the whole length,no idea how badly they have been overloaded.

Just wouldn't feel safe giving or selling them to anyone.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you post up the Kit info, for rebuilding this? I need to reseal my extension cyl. I might as well to the lift cyl too.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I saw you say that in the original post, or you would have had a PM! Do you know if those 2 parts will work with the M62 main section? I wasn't sure they would fit in since there is 2 extensions.

I could use a pass. bumperette and U shaped step...

AMGeneral

Could you post up the Kit info, for rebuilding this? I need to reseal my extension cyl. I might as well to the lift cyl too.
Well DH,the only way I could come up with the proper seals myself was call Memphis equip and talk to Ed York in the parts dept,and it still took 6 months to find a few of them for the hoist cylinder.

I know 2 of them had to be shipped from Europe.

Maybe a local hyd shop could match em up?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, that's been my plan. Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I saw you say that in the original post, or you would have had a PM! Do you know if those 2 parts will work with the M62 main section? I wasn't sure they would fit in since there is 2 extensions.

I could use a pass. bumperette and U shaped step...
AS far as I know thay will, the boom base section is the same, but I will check later to be sure

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks