• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle and cab cover questions

MitchG

Guys I have a couple of questions I would like opinions on. The first is a gear oil leak on the front rear axle. I have some small spots of gear oil on the outer wheel on both sides of this axle. I checked it close and see no oil on the inside wheel or on the brake drums. From looking at it it appears that it is coming from the axle drive flange area. Would you recommend going ahead and tearing into the hubs and replacing seals or just pulling the axles and resealing the outer flanges? I don't want to make any more work than necessary but if it's worth the effort I'll go ahead and do it. Also does anyone sell the axle vents? I made sure the top was free on the vents but didn't pull them to make sure they were open. I plan on doing that before I tackle the oil leak, but was wondering if any of the vendors sold the vents. Thought I might get a couple new ones and soak the old one's for backups.

The other question I had was about the cab cover. Someone had posted that they had purchased some of the little twist posts that hold the top above the doors. I need a few and haven't been able to find that post so if anyone has that info I would appreciate them passing it along!

MitchG

The leak is not in the front axle, it's the front set of REAR axles. From all the pics and drawings I have seen it looks to me like gear oil could travel thru the spindle to the flange area and leak out there without getting into the bearing area. Am I correct in that assessment?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct! Pull the axle shaft, clean (and inspect) flange and hub surfaces and reinstall w/o gasket, use loctite sealant #518 instead. It works!

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also to Q#2: This (and other stuff) is what i bought from Dave Pizzoferrrato at Weebee (odcloth@aol.com): Double Stud Height, Tapping Screw Back, #12x3/4, at 10 for $25.00

Prompt service, top quality!

G.

MitchG

Thanks guys I thought that was the case on the axle flange. Gringletaube that was the post I was searching for!! Must not have been using the right words to find it. I'll give Dave a call and get some of those studs.

Speaking of tops I noticed a couple of posts while searching where some of you had talked to GMA about getting just the hard plastic part that goes in the window channel on the front of the cab cover. Did anyone ever get any pricing info or actually get one? I have been going back and forth with them for a couple of weeks now and have not been able to get any info on those pieces. The lady said they should be able to sell me one but she just won't ever call me back about the price. She says she has my info and needs to get with some other person or persons for the pricing but that never seems to happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks