• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle boot incorrectly isntalled?

Banshee365

While under my deuce adjusting the e-brake and attempting to take out the slack on the brake pedal until I noticed you have to take the pin out of the linkage and rotate the linkage itself and gave up there for the sake of time, I noticed something wrong with my axle boots up front. I am still new to the deuce and don't know how some things are supposed to look. The boot looks to be in good shape but it isn't clamped. I also found alot of gear oil in there, I think there is supposed to be grease in there. Looks like I may be in for tearing down both front hubs and doing seals and reinstalling the boots, what do you guy's think? Are the boots okay and just missing clamps?

--Kelly

Attachments

Banshee365

Woohoo sounds like fun to fix. I was expecting axle seal repairs anytime now. I don't see any oil on the inside of the wheels on the back axles so hopefully those are good. What parts will I need to fix the front axle? Are the seals the same for the front and rear? Is there any tricks to pulling the old seals out? I've read about the cork seals too but I thought those are only for the rear axles. Looks like that will occupy some time but should be a good learning experience.

-Kelly

Banshee365

Upon closer examination the boots do not appear to be town as I can feel the lip on both and the groves are emtpy. Both boots seem to have slipped out from under the clamps or were not installed correctly to begin with. So I should just be able to clean everything oyut, reinstall the boot and new seals while I'm there and pump it back up with grease? The inner clamps are very lose, especially with no boot under them.

-Kelly

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is gear oil in the boot you might be looking t front axle shaft seals. Nothing hard just bigger parts and bigger tools

houdel

Banshee365 - When you reinstall your boot make sure you get the boots and clamps postioned right. It took me three tries to get it right. The zipper is to the front on the left side and to the rear on the right side, and the screw, nut and clamp have to be at the TOP of the axle housing. Otherwise the knuckle will contact the screw and push it out of place when turning. See my thread at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=68288#68288.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks