• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Differences

Barrman

I want to start this with an apology. I am still climbing the Duece learning curve. I feel that I have been asking and asking but not contributing here. That should change once I get my two completely apart and learn how they go back together. Thank you all for the help I have already gotten.

My 1951 REO M35 has axles that look just like the modern Rockwells to me. They say Timken on them though. The previous owner who "I ran a motor pool for a number of years." Thinks he knows it all. He told me the axles on my truck have the CV joints at the front compared to the more modern U-Joint versions. Is this right? I have always heard that CV versions are weaker. The previous owner preaches that the CV's are better for driving and stronger. "They changed to u-joints because they are cheaper, not better." Pistolnut noticed that the drive shaft flanges and gear housings are different than his M35A2. What else is different and which is better?

Thanks.

Westech

CPL
well he is right on the U joint type. Most people tend to think that the u joint type is better but I really dont know. If you brake a Deuce axle your messing around cv or u joint type. I dont know on the interchangeabilty of the two axles but I would think they would be the same. Military likes to keep it that way...And to what is better, Would say the u joint type just on this point... if you lose all the lube the cv type will over heat and she is tost. you loose the lube on the u joint type.. who cares its still going to keep going for a long time.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend never has to apologize or explain anything. 8)
Hay good link Devilman. I love to find new sights with info to read.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a potential problem with the Spicer joint axles for regualr deuce use. These axles were designed to have axle grease in the steering knuckles. This works great on the rezeppas and bendix axles but I question how well it works on the u joints. Seems a less viscous lube would be better suited for the knuckle ends. Another consideration is what if you break and axle. Most just twist off but if you break a Bendix at the joint, there will be some collateral damage. Just my thoughts

Edit; One more thing. Older axles had the vent on one of the side covers in the 4rd mamber where the later ones had the vent in the axle housing. If you swap a newer center in an old housing, you will be ventless and subsequently sealless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks