• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Gasket Part No. X-ref

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have had good luck with putting a bead of RTV gasket sealer around the part, letting it set up a bit, then assembling the parts with no gasket.
You can also make a gasket if you need to with a sheet of gasket paper, scissors, and a ball-pein hammer.
These are expediency methods if you do not find the number!
Regards Marti

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A standard material for axle gaskets is a common magazine cover. Use a ball-pein hammer. None of the "old time" mechanics that I grew up around, spent good money for gasket material, that was plentiful in the bathroom library rack!

Lee in Alaska

powerhouseduece

I either throw the old gasket out and use RTV or if the axle or outer flange are scored then ill reuse the old gasket and just add a good coating of RTV on both sides of the gasket. Mine has been like that for 8 months and ain't had a problem. I'll do it all over again before my next 4 wheeling trip.

808pants

Well, I've got lots of colorful old magazines to use or even some rosin-paper (and even an arch-punch set) but I'm thinking I'm gonna go with just RTV using the partially-cured-bead method. My reasoning is that all four of the rear hubs were weeping oil slightly at that joint, from well before I decided to pull all the wheels for some major brake work. On investigation (pulling the drive hubs), all the paper gaskets were brittle to the point where I could only get one out whole, and likely all the others were cracked through before I got to them.

In retrospect, this all seems as it might be expected to be: there's no sealant, a nonresilient paper gasket, and some huge adjacent stresses, which collectively seem like a recipe for leakage. Even if it's just an annoying weeping, it seems unnecessary. Past experience disassembling similar joints that I had made with RTV in lieu of a gasket resulted in some very thin, intact, consistent-thickness RTV versions of the gaskets I would have otherwise had to make out of paper - and not had the speed, flexibility, nor sealing qualities of the RTV. I don't see a downside other than that it's not a "traditional or authentic" method, if that's of concern.

crasheej

If that is what you eant to do go for it. One of the reason the military used the gasket was all the wheels were going to be pulled yaerly like the LO says.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks