• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Nut Wrenches

DanMartin

The axle nuts need to be torqued to a specific tightness....that's why I just bought a 3" socket from NAPA, so I could use my torque wrench when re-installing the nut and getting the proper pre-load on the bearings.

Not sure how you do that with this style of axle nut wrench.

dm22630

The axle nuts need to be torqued to a specific tightness....that's why I just bought a 3" socket from NAPA, so I could use my torque wrench when re-installing the nut and getting the proper pre-load on the bearings.

Not sure how you do that with this style of axle nut wrench.

They are? The 3" socket I have uses a regular 1/2" ratchet & I just tightened by feel. How many lbs of torque should I have used?

offroadchev

Banned
I am aware of the torque requirement. However $10 is a good price compared to the price for a 3" socket. You should see the original wrench i made. Hand cut with torches. It worked but didnt look nice. I started by using a C clamp to remove them. I am of the school of thought "If you dont have it make it".

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM says adjust by feel then back off 1/8 turn. There are no torque specs that I found in the 209-20. Does the 361 series list a torque spec?

The TM says adjust by feel then back off 1/8 turn. There are no torque specs that I found in the 209-20. Does the 361 series list a torque spec?
TM 9-2320-361-20
Page 9-11

1. Bend tabs back on adjusting nut washer (2) and remove outer adjusting nut (1) and washer (2).
2. Turn wheel, tighten inner adjusting nut (3) 50 lb-ft (68 NŽm), then back off nut (3) 1/16 to 1/4 turn.
3. Install adjusting nut washer (2) and outer adjusting nut (1). Tighten nut (1) 100-200 lb-ft
(136-272 NŽm).
4. Bend tabs on adjusting nut washer (2) down, over inner and outer adjusting nuts (3) and (1).

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-2320-209-20-3-2, page 14-9, frame 4,

FRAME 4
1 . P u t o n a d j u s t i n g n u t , l o c k w a s h e r ( 1 ) .
2 . U s i n g w h e e l b e a r i n g n u t w r e n c h a n d s o c k e t h a n d l e , s c r e w o n l o c k n u t ( 2 ) .
U s i n g t o r q u e w r e n c h , t i g h t e n l o c k n u t t o 1 0 0 t o 1 5 0 p o u n d - f e e t .
3 . U s i n g h a m m e r a n d p u n c h , b e n d t a b s o f a d j u s t i n g n u t l o c k w a s h e r ( 1 ) o v e r
b o t h a d j u s t i n g n u t ( 3 ) a n d l o c k n u t ( 2 ) .
GO TO FRAME 5

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-2320-209-20-3-2, page 14-9, frame 4,

FRAME 4
1 . P u t o n a d j u s t i n g n u t , l o c k w a s h e r ( 1 ) .
2 . U s i n g w h e e l b e a r i n g n u t w r e n c h a n d s o c k e t h a n d l e , s c r e w o n l o c k n u t ( 2 ) .
U s i n g t o r q u e w r e n c h , t i g h t e n l o c k n u t t o 1 0 0 t o 1 5 0 p o u n d - f e e t .
3 . U s i n g h a m m e r a n d p u n c h , b e n d t a b s o f a d j u s t i n g n u t l o c k w a s h e r ( 1 ) o v e r
b o t h a d j u s t i n g n u t ( 3 ) a n d l o c k n u t ( 2 ) .
GO TO FRAME 5

Ok, you made a liar out of me :oops: ;-). I remember that now. Guess I was thinking about the adjusting nut.

The adjusting nut adjustment is what will cause bearing problems if not set right.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, no, not trying to do that, just hoped you didin't miss that tidbit, it could lead to not so good things happening! It is very easy to miss things in the PDF style TM's. That is why I am collecting paper now :wink:

papercu

It is very easy to miss things in the PDF style TM's.
What am I missing? Is there something in the paper copy that will come up and smack you if you miss it? The .pdf copies are the greatest things since grits. :-D Wayne

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just find that on-line and PDF style things are tougher to find things in and follow procedures with. I've worked with both...now the electronic versions 99% 'cause that's what Cummins likes...and the paper is better IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks