• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Seals

Banshee365

You won't find a civi part number for the inner oil seals, or any seals for the axles for that matter. Get them for $10 ea. from Ted's Trucks N Stuff in Alabama. Much cheaper than NAPA would sell them if they did.

-Kelly

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,thanks,I am kinda in desperation mode now.I got everything torn down finally and find out,My inner seals are MIA.I really wanted to start the reassembly tomorrow.

tbrenner

I haven't look but I wonder if shop that specializes in truck drive lines would carry them or be able to get them if you need them right away. Just an idea.

houdel

The Deuce axle seals, front and rear, are pretty much mongrels without any civillian counterpart. The axle bearings are available, as are most of the trans & Xfer case bearings and seals from civvy suppliers. See the X-reference chart at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&tid=10. I believe there are some errors in the case of the axle bearings; the 392 number is correct, the other bearing is either a 393 or 394, I'm not sure which, I believe the 3994 is the number for the bearing cup. Both the inner and outer bearings use the same cup.

FreightTrain

Banned
The bearing numbers are correct.I have a set already.Bought them from NAPA 3 years ago.Sitting here on my desk.BCA Federal-Mogul Bearings 3994 and it uses 392A for the races.

FreightTrain

Banned
oh well,just ordered 4 new ones from Ted's.In theory they should be here tomorrow but you know how the USPS is.Said 1 day shipping from LA to UA.Got a 4Lb bucket of GAA wanna be from Napa.....10 bucks.....now I find a 5 gallon bucket of real GAA for $50 via the internet.Guess I will use this stuff and buy the real stuff for the future fleet.Never can have enough trucks,Parts,Grease,Oil,etc.Got a buddy of mine that said he can take my drums and turn them at the local Quicky lube he used to work at.Can't wait to get the front axle reassembled.Got new clamps comming via Saturn along with new tach cable.Figured I would fix everything while I have a head of steam.Finally get to install my USA 6x6 super boots.Does it matter if the screw is on the top or bottom for the inner clamp?Atleast the rears will be much easier to do other than the 48 lug nuts but that is what my 5 foot cheater pipe is for.Gonna have to start getting a rescue list together too.Hopefully I can get everything back to 100% in the next month cause I am planning on using the deuce to haul my Crew Cab dually up to Indiana for our Classic Ford Diesel Truck rally for 4th of July.Throw a Military Cot in the back,maybe a TV and computer if the Camp round has hook ups and Rough it.

Banshee365

I bought 2 of the 4# buckets of grease from NAPA when I just did my front axle. Used one whole bucket alone just on packing the 2 steering knuckles, they take 2# each. You also need grease to pack the wheel bearings, spindle, drive flanges, and wheel hubs.

-Kelly

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT the inner seal # you need is #450074 This is a national oil seal # (federal mogul). If this # isn't available you can subsutute #'s 480074 or #410074. The difference is the rubber lip design. They are the same size as the original. Housing bore 2.686, seal is 2.690X.500 with a 1.687 dia shaft. Hope this helps.
Mike is there a way we can put these #'s in the parts cross reference page?

FreightTrain

Banned
dang it.I ordered 4 from Ted's today.Oh well,when I lose these I will know what numbers to look for.Wonder if the others work better due to lip design than the originals....

FreightTrain

Banned
hmmm,per the pictures that looks like the seal that is on the spindles.I need the one inside the axle housing.Unless the pics are wrong which could be very possible.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics? The numbers are for the inner seals that are held in holders inside the axle housing. They are the ones behind the u-joints. After you pull the axleshaft out you will see them. Hope this helps.

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,Napa must use a generic picture then.I searched their website.I might have to buy one of each and do my SS duty to give a confirmation of application.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a bearing suppys near by? I buy all of my bearings/seal from a bearing house. It's about half of what i was paying at a autoparts. I found my recept for these seals and i paid $4.30 apiece.

houdel

When you install your boot clamps, DO use a self locking nut. The TM says to bend the bolt after the nut is tightened (presumably to keep the nut from loosening). Don't do it, you may need to take it apart again. If your clamps have metric threads you may not be able to find metric self locking nuts. If that is the case, take your metric bolt to your local hardware store for US replacements. The metric diameter and length will fall between US standard sizes, buy your US bolts in the next larger diameter and next longest length. DO NOT buy a shorter bolt! I had a choice between two bolts roughly 1/4" longer and 1/4" shorter than my metric bolt. I mistakenly chose the shorter bolt and had a real B**ch of a time pulling the clamp tight enough to get the nut started on the bolt. A little extra length will not hurt you, there is plenty of room in there for a longer bolt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks