• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle shafts

Zonecone

Just completed first run of properly designed axle shafts. Made out of 300 m material ,heatreated and polished ! I am working on c.v. Cages and boot for new axle diameter . Will post pictures !

Zonecone

I make axles for all kind of off road race cars. These are made in house ,heatreated ,straighten and then polished.
maybe over kill but looking at the stock axle it looks like a good idea. I have also I.D. The outboard C.V. And have a source for pants .by looking at the outer joints they have had numerous axles installed.
talk to you later

W427

Will you make the axles available? I would request a different axle alloy, something a bit more generic with less ultimate strength, perhaps stock 1040. Would that be possible?

W427

Making new shafts out of 1040 material would defeat the purpose .iwould make them out of e4340 if there was some numbers.
No problem — I was just inquiring if you could.

I don't want to assume your purpose. I understand the position of strengthening an item that breaks, if that is your purpose. I am not arguing, only inquiring, but if it helps to explain why I'm asking; I learned many expensive lessons in performance automotive and racing. One of them was making weak parts stronger, which then shifts breakage to the next weakest part. That next part can be anywhere in the system and is often more expensive or difficult to replace.

Not yet knowing what that next-weakest part is yet; I am perfectly happy to allow my axle shafts to be the "fuse" that blows on overload, as possibly the Marine Corps was (several features were upgraded in ITVs, but not the axles?), and why I was inquiring on the possibility of using an alloy with lower shear modulus. Again, no argument, simply that this is my purpose in asking.

Zonecone

No problem — I was just inquiring if you could.

I don't want to assume your purpose. I understand the position of strengthening an item that breaks, if that is your purpose. I am not arguing, only inquiring, but if it helps to explain why I'm asking; I learned many expensive lessons in performance automotive and racing. One of them was making weak parts stronger, which then shifts breakage to the next weakest part. That next part can be anywhere in the system and is often more expensive or difficult to replace.

Not yet knowing what that next-weakest part is yet; I am perfectly happy to allow my axle shafts to be the "fuse" that blows on overload, as possibly the Marine Corps was (several features were upgraded in ITVs, but not the axles?), and why I was inquiring on the possibility of using an alloy with lower shear modulus. Again, no argument, simply that this is my purpose in asking.
i understand the weakest link theory but by looking at the outboard cv it can handle it the inboard on is strange because it is a weldment.i have seen one of these vehicles only the parts.the diff unit I bet is an 8.8 ford unit by the spline size.if you leave # I will call,or you can call me. Thanks

W427

Agreed. It appears both center differential housings are early-mid-2000s Explorer rear units, the front using reverse-rotation gears. Also appearing the outer CV (overlapping years F-150/F-250/Expedition), hub ('00-'04 F-150) and knuckle ('97-'04 Ford F-150/Expedition), and of course the CV and knuckle are modified with drilling, plugging and threading for the CTIS air system. Original CV boots are #86464, and are EMPI 86-2338D spec. I'll PM you with contact info for the axles. (y)
BTW - this is a good basic video on ITV/LSV axle service.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks