• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad day today - front brake/hub ?

jason@snakeriver

Took the M-819 out today, hooked up to the M-270 lowboy trailer and loaded up a 170hp tractor and headed south 30 miles to the dealership. About 75,000 gvw.

About half the way there, I could feel something strange going on, we finally stopped and the smoke was rolling out from the front right hub.
It smelled like the brakes were smoked. Due to the circumstance we limped it on in.

But when we got there, understandably the hub was still smoking and real hot, Any of you guys have any thoughts as to what would have gone wrong ??

Will have to tear into it monday.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps improper brake adjustment, or even broken return spring. Its really easy to check the adjustment/back things off, rather then smoke things up.

Lee in Alaska

FreightTrain

Banned
Pump the brakes and then break lose the bleeder.Some times the rubber lines can break down internally and a flap of rubber can act like a check valve not allowing the fluid to reverse flow and release the brakes.If that ain't it then dig in and see what is up?Maybe the piston cups froze up,Spring broke and the shoes are dragging,Being it is just one wheel it has to be something between the T and the hub.Atleast it should be inexpensive parts.Wheel Cylinder,springs,out of adjustment....

jason@snakeriver

What I felt was the loss or drain of power. I was going about 45 mph before, and then I was doing good to go 35 mph due to the drag. No pulling to the side or shimmy.
Having that happen is about the last thing you think would go wrong on a trip.
I will keep you posted as we tear into this thing.

jason@snakeriver

I hate to admit that it was actually the bearings going dry. I had purchased the truck last spring, and maybe put on 1500 miles without any indication.
Needless to say we will service both sides.
Now, what about my other 4 - 800 series.:roll: Hey, I haven't looked at my M-37 for a while either.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had the same problem on our M-139 bridge truck. The bad bearings let the drums rub the shoes. No damage to spindles or other parts. We went through all of the brakes and found several of the shoe anchor pivots were sticking badly also, keeping the shoes from retracting properly. Fixed it all, and wow, new-found power!!
Regards Marti

jason@snakeriver

I did not make it down to the shop to see the actual damage. It was at the CASE-IH tractor dealership, and the mechanic that worked on it was an former Marine who worked on the 800 series while in the service.
He said it felt like "old times"
The spindle did get dinged up which he filed out. It took a new hub, bearings and seals.
He opened up the passenger side, and he said that it looked like someone had serviced it at a differant time than the drivers side.
The passenger side did have Timken bearings and the drivers side had some other name brand.

Thanks to all - -

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks