• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad drive shaft?

1951M1078

Thanks,I will look around metro Phoenix. Would make thing easier.

On my front shaft their must be 1/4" upward moment. The rear is not so bad, maybe 1/16". Didn't put a gauge on it but it is way to much.
When I pushed up on the front one I went WHOA ! NOT GOOD !

coachgeo

Thanks,I will look around metro Phoenix. Would make thing easier.

On my front shaft their must be 1/4" upward moment. The rear is not so bad, maybe 1/16". Didn't put a gauge on it but it is way to much.
When I pushed up on the front one I went WHOA ! NOT GOOD !
YIKES.. there should be zero movement. both are bad. Inspect the case looking for stress cracks around T-case end of the tranny.. as well as the bell housing end. This is where the reverberations causes cracks.

Last edited:

1951M1078

Thanks,will do. Did not see any thing but will give it another look.
Maybe this is my vibration ???? LOL Ya think.

Any idea what the going price should be for 2 new ends and balancing ?

coachgeo

... Maybe this is my vibration ???? LOL Ya think.

IMHO you might need what turns out to be close to whole new shaft for the front. that much movement in your front one is possibly in the spline as well as one or both of the U-joints.... Your rear may be just joints butttt don't count on it??? My complete; from scratch, new rear shaft was around 350?

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roughly speaking, balancing and straightening a shaft is around $100. Replacing the yoke on one end cost me about $250 more. Opening the tube to take out the cardboard was $100. New u-joints (good USA-made Neapco's) about $50/each. So for me it was $450 total for the front, and $275 for the rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks