• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ball joint install driving me mad

HelluvaEngineer

I was hoping to get a quick win after work today by installing my steering knuckle with the new ball joints. No dice. The lower ball joint is just spinning in it's assembly. I can't torque it. I tried using a jack and a cylinder from my press kit to push up on the knuckle without damaging the ball joint, but that's not working completely either. Is there a secret trick to make this work? Thanks.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was hoping to get a quick win after work today by installing my steering knuckle with the new ball joints. No dice. The lower ball joint is just spinning in it's assembly. I can't torque it. I tried using a jack and a cylinder from my press kit to push up on the knuckle without damaging the ball joint, but that's not working completely either. Is there a secret trick to make this work? Thanks.
Ummm... The ball joint should be tapered - Right?
Maybe just a tap on the end away from the "nut" end with a two or three pound hammer?

It should want to tighten because of the taper.
Unless maybe you have the wrong size joint?

HelluvaEngineer

Ummm... The ball joint should be tapered - Right?
Maybe just a tap on the end away from the "nut" end with a two or three pound hammer?

It should want to tighten because of the taper.
Unless maybe you have the wrong size joint?
I think it's the right size but the taper it's mating with is now nice and greasy. I really don't want to push directly on the ball joint with a jack but that may be where this is headed. That would put a lot of pressure on the c-clip.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... the taper it's mating with is now nice and greasy
That's your problem, right there!
Solution: Brake cleaner & chalk ..... Degrease and dry all surfaces thoroughly, then rub the cone all around with your piece of chalk. Insert the joint, screw the nut on a few threads and eventually use a small prybar (in between nut and knuckle) to force the joint up into its seat before torquing the nut all the way down.

1717113807903.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks