• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks to discontinue sidewinder turbo this month.

Nickaru

I called Banks a few weeks back to get info for a future turbo install and found out that at the end of this month, they are not going to sell the Sidewinder turbo kit for the 6.2 diesels anymore. I confirmed with more than one Banks tech, just to make sure they weren't getting me to move on one. Today when I called, they had;) a sale and I ordered mine for $2170. Parts won' t be a problem down the road and buying through Banks gets me the direct tech support if I need it when I go to install it in a few months.

So, if anyone was thinking about one, nows the time!

sp00n

Seems you could find a 6.5 turbo engine for about the same price as this kit. Might even be the same amount of work to install.

pmramsey

Just for comparison, I have a fresh military 6.5 L rebuild in a sealed container without the starter and alternator available for $1200.

combat jump

Nikaru, that's the best price I've seen for a new complete setup. I'll still be shopping used on eBay, though :/

And because we get these trucks at a good price, we can put the real money into upgrades we want. My splurge was to re-gear to 3.73 It cost as much as I paid for the whole truck, but I can cruise in the fast lane with my M1028 :) At least until I get to a hill, then I'm wanting a turbo, haha!

Nickaru

I know it's a lot of money, but I plan on keeping mine. I like the 4.56 gears for low end, but it is too low for stock size tires, so some 37's should help. I already have those, so with the turbo, it should be more fun to drive. I know it's not strong enough to hot rod, that's what I use my Dodge Cummins 3500 for. The M1008 is my weekend 4x4 toy and not my daily work truck.

About that used turbo ebay search, that can turn out to be a parts scavenger hunt to find everything you need to complete.aua

ODdave

just curious, what kind of power dose this setup make? A good rule for buying HP is $10 for every 1hp. (usualy on gas engines) 15-1 on diesels. just curious because that seems like a lot of $.

P.S. what would my complete mechanical 6.5 with a turbo, aftermarket heads (thicker), & marine injectors be worth ?????

Last edited:

QuickSilver

The 6.2 is better suited as a boat anchor. I'm impressed anyone made an aftermarket kit for it at any point in time, much less all the way to 2011.
Very true. I plan to run my 6.2 for as long as it's in good running condition. After that, I'm going Cummins. The Cummins is a far superior engine, and swaps are pretty straight forward. I'm fairly sure you could put a 4bt, or even a 12v 6bt in your truck for less than it would cost to rebuild a 6.2 and add all the performance enhancements, and after all the hassle and extra $$ spent, you would still have an engine that was ultimately inferior.

Nickaru

Banks

Banks is expensive, but it's a proven kit. GM used Banks as a turbo option back in the 90's before GM came out with their own turbo for the 6.5 diesel. Even then the 6.2 sidewinder turbo kit of Banks still outperformed the GM 6.5 turbo. The kit adds 60 HP, 115 LB FT torque and 10% better fuel economy. The only reason they are discontinuing it is because the demand is not there at this time. It's been out since the 90's and with today's diesel technology, they are expanding their campus in Azusa, California once again.

Hey, I'm with you on the Cummins. I love mine and that was one of the first things I thought of was to swap out the 6.2 for a 12 valve, but by the time you purchase the engine and trans, figure which crossover mounts to use, and the custom work hours required, the Banks turbo is still cheaper. I thought the 6.2 will be fine for the weekend warrior stuff to do.

The parts for the 6.2, such as rebuilt injectors for less than $150, rebuilt injection pumps for less than $350, lots of spare military engines on hand, sounds like an easy and cheap play toy engine to keep for now.
The turbo option will make it a little more fun. :razz:

NewToDeuce

Banks is expensive, but it's a proven kit. GM used Banks as a turbo option back in the 90's before GM came out with their own turbo for the 6.5 diesel. Even then the 6.2 sidewinder turbo kit of Banks still outperformed the GM 6.5 turbo. The kit adds 60 HP, 115 LB FT torque and 10% better fuel economy. The only reason they are discontinuing it is because the demand is not there at this time. It's been out since the 90's and with today's diesel technology, they are expanding their campus in Azusa, California once again.

Hey, I'm with you on the Cummins. I love mine and that was one of the first things I thought of was to swap out the 6.2 for a 12 valve, but by the time you purchase the engine and trans, figure which crossover mounts to use, and the custom work hours required, the Banks turbo is still cheaper. I thought the 6.2 will be fine for the weekend warrior stuff to do.

The parts for the 6.2, such as rebuilt injectors for less than $150, rebuilt injection pumps for less than $350, lots of spare military engines on hand, sounds like an easy and cheap play toy engine to keep for now.
The turbo option will make it a little more fun. :razz:
Thanks for the info!

With the turbo he can drive at highway speeds! haha

ALTOcal

UPDATE - I spoke with Banks sales team today. The sidewinder kits are not currently for sale. The manufacturer of the turbo center section is no longer making the part. Banks team is currently looking for a new manufacturer. All other parts, including the turbo housing are available and the sales rep was willing to sell the parts to help anyone piece together a kit. I am very interest myself, even at the high $$$ currently advertised.

If anyone has ideas on how to source a turbo parts manufacturer please share. Also, possibly buying the kit except a turbo and sourcing a used turbo would solve the problem.

Just thought I would share first hand info from Banks.

richingalveston

I have a banks turbo and some of the parts for sale, if banks is now willing to sell the remaining parts needed, (they would only sell the whole kit a few years ago) you may be able to put a kit together pretty cheap

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks