• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barstow recovery

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If recoverys can go any easier, I don't see how. Told Tim we would be there at 0800 and he said we could turn wrenches until he was finished with some other load outs. Left the house at 0530 for the 125 mile ride north. My truck box and bed was full of every possible thing I could think of. In the end it took longer to load the recovery truck than it did to do the recovery.

Got on base at 0715. Did a drive by of GL and the gates were locked up. Went back to the gas station to freshen up and then headed back to wait. Rolled up as a modified truck/aircraft tug shot out of the lot and accross the street. Went over that way where two semis were waiting. I assumed that these might be the load outs Tim was talking about. Found the tug (which sold on auction weeks ago - hope you didn't buy it cuz they are beating the crap out of it) and found the DRMO b#$ch from last time driving. Asked for Tim and she managed to be even ruder than last time. Once again said Tim was accross the street in the GL warehouse. Well, accross the street is the lot, but no warehouse. Drove over that way and didn't see anything. Stopped by my truck and noticed my locks were cut off. The chocks were gone and the back had been gone through.

Drove down the road to some warehouses until we stumbled onto the GL one. Caught Tim's sidekick on the way out. He didn't seem interested in the cut locks. Told us to meet Tim at the truck so we headed over there. Started swapping batteries and got 1/2 done when Tim rolled up. He said the DRMO folks had to come through and check each truck because some radios and antenna mounts have slipped through. Whatever, we kept wrenching. He said we could pull start it, they do it all the time. I let him know that we were gonna try fresh batteries 1st so he left.

Popped in a leftover Red Top and a 3 year old Die Hard and we had juice! Had to call Rat to ask where the start button was. I was too excited to read the TM. With my bro on the line she fired up. Buzzer went off while she built air pressure. Let it warm up while we secured the tools and got the generator/compressor ready to blow out the dirt out of the cab. Shut it down only long enough to check the oil that I should have checked 1st. All good there. Fired it back up and dumped in 5 gallons of fresh diesal.

Tim showed up and signed me out. Gave me ZERO paperwork or records. Once he got my signature he ghosted out. Noticed two semis getting loaded up and their drivers going through truck tool boxes. Gave them the stink eye and didn't see them actually take anything.

Figured the lights out, put it in 1st, undid the brake and we bailed. No problems at all. All gauges checked good except the volt gauge which was in the red on the right side. Quickly got off base and out of Barstow. Took a lot of shifting between 4th and 5th to get to Victorville. Stopped at a truck stop to clean the windows and take a bathroom break. Back on the road headed DOWNHILL. Kept the speed about 45 until we hit flatland again. Then she pulled about 56 MPH at 2600 RPM.

No problems at all - we even had to pass a guy doing 45 pulling a small trailer. No idea why, but it was kewl none the less.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and answered my many questions. Big thanks to Rat and Doghead for checking up on me.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my front tow rings is missing. Hopefully I don't find anything else stolen..............................

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found my front tow clevises under the driver seat in my truck along with some other things
Well it WAS on front last time I was there. Hopefully they took it off and stashed it. Doubt it though............................

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I just gotta say... You did not know how to start it, so you called to find out how, then you shut down to check the oil that should have been checked before you ever tried starting??? Did you ever check the brakes? It's events like this that will eventually do alot of damage to this hobby when an accident occurs.:soapbox:

rat4spd

Well, in the heat of the fun of recovery, especially for a beginner, many errors can be made. At least he had the balls to shed light on it in good fun. But rest assured you aren't lecturing an amateur hack.

Don't worry, YOUR hobby is safe for now . :rant:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I just gotta say... You did not know how to start it, so you called to find out how, then you shut down to check the oil that should have been checked before you ever tried starting??? Did you ever check the brakes? It's events like this that will eventually do alot of damage to this hobby when an accident occurs.:soapbox:
Yeah Chief, I sure did. After I installed the replacement batteries and got power to the dash panel that was hanging loose I got excited and forgot where the start button was. Since I had Rat and Dog Head on speed dial, I called Rat and asked. Then I hit it and she started right up. So I let it run while I checked the brake fluid and added a few ounces of Dog Head approved DOT 5 and buttoned that all up. I secured the battery tray and picked up the tools before I shut it down and checked every damn thing I could find to check.

My insurance was activated by my wife who was with me and we had a one way trip ticket from the DMV.

I tested it out in the wide open lot before I headed to the main road - we already had a number to a wrecker service and I had made sure I could take it to the local hobby shop down the street if I needed to.

None of that added anything to my story. I have been VERY concerned about good brakes since day one knowing I had to bring her down the Cajon Pass (which we did at 45 MPH - just like the sign says).

I may come off as an don't-give-a-chit redneck, but actually I'm a highly trained Aviation Support Equipment Mech (at least the Navy says so). Don't think for a milli second that I would put my daughter in the truck if I wasn't 100% sure it was safe to do so.

If you got any more soapbox related comments, PM me shipmate.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well glad to hear you did check. When I read your origional post it sure didn't sound like much was looked at, that's why I said what I did. After having been on several dozen GL runs and seeing what some people try to do (such as crimping a steel brake line w/no wheel cyl) to get home. I do get concerned. Enjoy the rig.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Well glad to hear you did check. When I read your origional post it sure didn't sound like much was looked at, that's why I said what I did. After having been on several dozen GL runs and seeing what some people try to do (such as crimping a steel brake line w/no wheel cyl) to get home. I do get concerned. Enjoy the rig.
I just bring Coffee on my recovery and a Master-Card if it won't stop it has to be shipped... I've only been on one recovery but this is going to my method for all future ones as well. I like to live in the moment.

roscoe

You look a little shifty there Dug, no wonder the EUC took so long.:-D Glad the recovery worked out well for ya. I'm going to get mine tomorrow and I hope its as smooth as yours was.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUG,

Great story and pics! And thanks for keeping the gloves on with Chief, our hobby has both experts and disaster masters. Hard to tell them apart on the internet.

Roscoe, Got yer camera?

Rick

bassetdeuce

Did you have a Homer Simpson moment? Mine was leaving the e-brake on for about a quarter mile after a rest stop. Hey, whats that funny smell? DOH!:roll:

Hey Roscoe, here is a tip. Once everything checks out o.k. and you get rolling for a while, relax and enjoy the ride! My needless worrying about everything that could go wrong made me more tired than I should have been.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks