• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barstow win

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine...Will Wagner...no, not me, another Will, won an M35 at Barstow yesterday, $4100! Good news is, Engine and drivetrain are fresh rebuilt. The engine oil is clear, not black, trans, transfer and diffs are the same. Not a drop of dirt/mud under the truck. troop seats in the bed, tires are 95% or better. Went there last week to look at it, DRMO guy said it was OK to try to start it. Pulled it with my P/U and it lit off in 2 feet! Small cosmetics issues, but they are mostly minor.

CanonNinja

Damn, Ive been watching these trucks all week, and they keep popping up here.. I bought a member's truck because I didn't want a project, I wanted a driver. But you guys are getting some killer deals it sounds like!

This board is bad juju... every time I walk in the garage, I keep eyeballing my Yamaha, and questioning really how bad I want to keep it over another big piece of OD iron :D

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a nice deal. Is that the one you mentioned the other day with battery box, bed and toolbox dent up from forklifting?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, thats the one. There should be some hard top USAF trucks comming up soon. There was a bunch of paper in the truck that had Ft. Irwin on the top. Most likely came from there. No, Will isn't a member...yet. He says he can't register due to cookies being turned off or something along that line. He does visit though. Jon, he's the guy that was with me last week at Walkers.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a link to the auction?

If it came from the draw yard at NTC, thats both a good thing and bad thing.. Let us know, and we'll explain more..

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know what NTC is. The trucks are at Barstow MCLS, DRMO. There are oh, 25? trucks, deuces, a 900 series SeaBee truck, M49 tankers, water buffalos. The DRMO guy said if no other agency wanted them, he would probably get them in a month or so. What and why is NTC a good/ bad thing?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short story..
NTC = National Training Center at Ft Irwin. (10 miles away from the Logbase at Barstow) It's where brigade size units go to train where they have THOUSANDS of miles of barren nothingness to have battles at.

When a unit goes there, there is a fleet of trucks and armored vehicles (humvees, 2.5 ton, 5 ton, HEMTTS, tracked vehicles, generators, ect) in the draw yard that the unit can draw from ("borrow") for their 2-3 weeks of training.. Picture a car rental type of deal, bit no cash changes hands. A unit goes there, borrows all these trucks, where they beat the snot out of them.. Why beat on them you may ask???? Cause the solider will only have the truck for 3 weeks, then it gets turned back in to the draw yard, and the soldier never sees it again.. Tell me you havent done the same when you drive a rental car... You're never going to see that car again, so lets do some jackrabbit starts, NASCAR style driving, hard braking, ect..... You get the picture????

When a truck breaks durring that 3 week period, the mechanics that have to fix these trucks.. They do as little as possible to get the truck fixed so it gets thru the 3 week training, and gets turned back in.. Say a truck fries a wiring harness that would take hours of work to change out.. If it was the UNIT's truck, they would be inclined to do a "proper" fix like change out the whole harness as per the TM because it is THEIR truck..... But since the truck is a draw vehicle, the mechanic really only cares about getting it fixed "enough" so it makes it thru the rest of the 3 week training... So he hacks out the bad section of wiring, electrical tapes in some wires, does a 1/2 a$$ job, but in the end, the truck runs... Mechanic is happy, a 4 hour job only took 1 hour, and he'll never have to work on the truck again. Say the truck needed a new engine.. It takes say 15 gallons of 15-40 as per the TM.. Well, he only has 10 "new" gallons of 15-40 and 5 gallons of "used" 15-40 oil Guess what, the truck will have 15 gallons of oil when it gets turned back in. New filters? who cares.. it got "A" filter?? Yep...... See where Im going??? Now picture this going on every 3-4 weeks.... Yes, alot of parts get changed out, but the quality of the work is VERY questionable about items that you cant easily see.......

Unless you've been there, you cant fully understand why this all happens, but trust me, it does... I've been there 2x, seen trannys bolted to the engine by 2 bolts, 90W oil in engines, a wiring harness that was more electrical tape and wire nuts than wire...

My NTC "get it turned in so we can all go home" story... I had a soldier that had a M35A2 that had 1/4 tank of fuel. To turn it in, it had to be above 3/4 full. There was no fuel to be had, as all the draw tanker trucks were turned in already. One of my soldiers, who is supposed to fly home that afternoon CANT because he has to turn the truck in... Thats the ONLY think holding him up from going home after 5 weeks at NTC.. Comes up to me.. "Sir, what am I gonna do?? there is no fuel.." He's very unhappy.. He starts kicking rocks ojn the desert floor.... Then the lightbulb goes on... He picks up a rock, slightly smaller than his fist.. "Sir, I got it figured out" and walks off.. Comes back to me an hour later with his paperwork saying his truck got turned in.. I didnt ask how many rocks it took to go from 1/4 to 3/4 full, but he apparently figured it out.. Sucks to be the next soldier that gets that truck, huh??? But hey, he got to go home that day..

Bottom line.... Be very wary of trucks that have only 4 digits painted on them, or say something like ARMOR 30 or FSB 15..... Go thru them VERY carefully, as they were all "rentals" for a few years...
And that doesnt count the miles they rack up thru the desert there.. Dust, sand, crashing into wadis, ect...

Im sure Armyman30years has his NTC stories also and can verify what I wrote/experienced.

there is a saying that at NTC... There are several battles going on.. One with the bad guys, one with the ITT/Dynacorp turn in people, and the never ending maintaince battle.. It's very true....

Good luck with your truck.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think mine might have been one of those. I did find a 4 digit number on the back of the truck. She is rough around the edges consmetically, but runs like heck. I agree with looking them over well as I did just that.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I was there last monday and gave it a look see. Like I said, no dirt, mud nuthin' under the truck. All the fluids are like new. As soon as I change the oil in mine, it's black as the ace of spades. If it has been beat, the fluids don't show it and the only wear on the thing seems to be the drivers seat. The rest of the slightly bent things are courtesy of the MCLB guys and a forklift...the forklift has been taken from them! It is very clean. The DRMO guy said it was a running truck when it was parked there, I forget how long ago, but, it has been through 3 auctions, sold for around $2500 each time, but never picked up, this is the 3rd auction. It won't start now, cause it's got junk batteries, but, we pull started it after diong the fluid, air, brake etc. checks. Started in about 2-3 feet, had no gauges that were electric, cause the batteried were dead, but, I put jumpers on it and the alt started charging as soon as the field was excited and then we had gauges, 60 PSI oil pressure after running 5 mins or so and the temp gauge was at 180 after driving it. If someone were to bring this truck to me, at my shop, and asked me my opinion of it, I would tell them it looked good. Like I said, there were a bunch of other trucks there. We looked at them, lots of newer trucks, we kept comming back to this one. No rust to speak of, and way cleaner. Don't think this one has seen dirt since the OVH. I'll take some pics of it when we pick it up.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no Mud or dirt out in the desert..... Check stuff like the brakes, belts, engine mounts, transfer linkage, ect.. Fluids wont tell you anything if they were changed properly.. What year is the truck, and how many miles?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The info is very valuable, but if the buyer is happy with his/her truck and has done their due diligence, then as long as they are happy with their purchase then I say let them enjoy the rush!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree 100% with you. Just wanted to tell the "other part of the story" that most guys dont know about with the NTC trucks that come out of Barstow GL...

mhb285

I went to NEBO base today to pick up my 2-ICE units today. Saw the truck in question. Nice. I wanted to go in and take pix of everything else, but they said NO.... Lots of "stuff" there.
Didn't want to piss off the man........ To bad.
Mike

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assumed that all the military vehicles had the snot beat out of them. Even the biggest piece of crap deuce looks good in my yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks