• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

batter voltage tests

2mtrucks

I tested my batteries today. Engine off the front is approx 13.0vdc and so is the rear. Engine running the front is approx. 14.5 vdc to 15.3 vdc and the rear is the same. Is this normal resting and charging voltage?. The reason I checked it is because the gen 2 light will periodically flash on while driving and the gen 1 lite has never come on when the ignition is turned on. However, it has always started and never needed to be jumped or put on a charger. Any guesses?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's normal.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More on the "state of charge" testing, keep in mind that it's a chemical process and the proportion of acid to water tells the story.
If the open circuit voltage test does not agree with the specific gravity test, then your battery may be sulfated. Running a pulsetech(?) solargizer device for a month or so may reverse the sulfation.

Check the PS magazine section (still on the old SS site) for more on battery care.

Attachments

ida34

Newer battery chargers have a battery "renewal" setting that is really just desulfating for the uninformed. It takes about 24 hours. If it is to far along to do any good it will tell you this also.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
24 hours? It probably takes a lot longer from what I have read/experienced. Years ago I tested one of the Pulsetech (120 VAC powered) and noticed no change after a week, so I sold it....now I think a month would be a reasonable time to run it. Oh well...

Edit: Sulfation is a normal part of the battery discharge process. It's reversed when recharging takes place.
The stuff that accumulates from self discharge "hardens" and will not normally revert and that's where the electronic pulsing comes in, to get rid of the stuff that's not normally reversed.

Last edited:

2mtrucks

Batteries are good but Im concerned they are being overcharged. My voltmeter reads at the very high end of green. Battery terminal voltage readings with engine running are now consistently about 15.5vdc each and collectively about 31.0 vdc. Do I need to have the alts rebuilt or the regulators changed? I checked every connection on the truck that would be related to charging, including the grounds and all are good. Just trying to learn as much as possible because there is no one anywhere near me who would work on this truck. In fact my local Ford dealer made a couple jokes about it when he saw it. I told him when he can sell me a 1 ton diesel truck with 6k miles and no rust for 4700.00 to call me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks