• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries and alternators

JasonS

I just want to preface this by saying that I did do a search before posting. :-D

I had the misfortune of a dead battery in my bobbed deuce over the holidays. One battery was OK, the other was dead. They are about 4 years old. I managed to get it to take a charge. After getting the truck running, I measured each batteries voltage while charging. It started out with about a 1.5V difference and, in time, equalized. Another battery set/ engine had less voltage differential. I suspect that this will repeat with subsequent start/ charge cycles. Has anyone used the difference in battery voltage as a tool to monitor battery condition? Is anyone using a desulfating charger? Not a maintainer, but an actual desulfator using high frequency pulses.

I recently bought two 100A Leece Neville alternators off of ebay for ~$50 each. Ebay item 180312423350. My brother also bought one for his 5-ton. Each one draws 30mA +/-1mA through the battery connection. Otherwise work great. My 60A Leece Neville didn't draw any current. Is this 30mA draw part of a battery sense circuit? It seems unlikely that each one would have the exact same leakage current if it was a bad diode. Is there something undesirable about these alternators? The 60A seems to sell for lots more?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good way to check the condition of your batteries is to compare the results from a specific gravity test and a open circuit voltage test. If they don't agree, then the batteries are most likely sulfated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks