• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a big fan of the red top Optima batteries. Been using them for many years and on the average get ten years out of them. The Hawkers are great but the cost is way high. Have had two Optima batteries in my M998 for two years with zero issues. Just my two cents.

Mark

20200404_165135.jpg

87cr250r

We don't play that game out west where a jump costs the same as two batteries and you still have two bad batteries when you're done. I do new batteries every 5 years in my vehicles.

Last edited:

cucvrus

My preferred go to batteries in the past were the A C Delco 1111 just like came from the factory. But since our local Chevrolet dealer closed down about 10 years ago, I have been buying Deka group 31. I had made a great deal on some deep cycle glass mat batteries a few years back and used all of them. I agree to change CUCV batteries in pairs and leave the resistors hooked up, so you get the equal draw on the batteries when the glow plugs are engaged. Living in the northeast all my life I have learned to service batteries early and load test them anytime I suspect an issue. Same as glow plugs. I change them as needed and pull all 8 every time and bench test them. It is about a 30-minute job. Happy Holidays.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optima Red
I have them in everything except my M1008A1 and it has a new set of Hawkers.
Just installed an Optima Red in a mint 1998 Suburban K1500 I just picked up.
Have Optima Blue in my Airstream.

Optima makes an adapter plate that has the same footprint as the Hawkers and also elevates it to the larger battery height.
That way you can still use the original battery hold downs.
They can be difficult to find.
The Military also uses the Optima batteries

I get made fun of all the time from my friends and family because I spend a lot on Optima battery’s.

I never have battery issues.
Ever…..

rsrxc700

I picked up a pair of Odyssey batteries in 2017 or so, they have been great, paid like $250 ea for them then. I just looked them up and now they are over $500 ea. !! They Better last 10 years!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks