• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery cable connector crimpers? What to buy?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey fellas,

So I want to crimp some new connectors onto large (1, 2, 4 gauge) cables and when I remember seeing some giant crimpers for these large connectors. They look like bolt cutters but they have a different head.

See an example at the bottom of this page:

Crimpers (part # T-CR-461)

But that's $200+-Id' rather not spend that much, for as rare as I do this.

I see these:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

and

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Would those "do"? I know it's cheap Chinese crap, which I am loathe to buy, but $$$ is a little tight right now, I can't send my snap-on guy's 4th kid to Yale.

Opinions?

Thanks fellas

C

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you weren't so darned far away, I have some nice hydraulic ones I could lend to you. Problem is, that they are too darned heavy to want to pay to ship them.

Those two from china freight would work, either one would do a good job. What I like to do especially for industrial stuff is to crimp using the recommended size crimp lug they tell you...and then go to the next size smaller lug and put some a$$ behind it and do it again. You can never have battery connections too tight, if it's loose and starts to corrode, then sooner or later it's going to burn the lug off. Just my 2cents

If you would like to borrow my good ones, if you can find a way to get it you are more than welcome to use them

rideni

If you were closer I have crimps that do up to 00 Gauge Cable. Above 00 gauge I do my connections with one shot welds, which are a copper thermite welding powder.
Of course I have the equipment that costs $200 plus for crimpers because I do this for a living.

rideni

Also personal preference with all crimpers, is not to get the cheapo stamped steel models and get the forged steel, or die style crimps, which have a much better end result. THe only pair of stamped crimps that I have ever liked using were made by Klein tools

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner,
I've also had the same thing for years and years. For your own personal use, they do work wonderfully. But the newer hydraulic ones make some nice tight and better looking crimps (not to say that they are any better electrically though), and when I'm doing 20 or 30 crimps on 4/0 wire or larger up to 500 MCM, the hydraulic ones sure are nice to have. :p...saves a lot on the old hammer swingin arm.

scrapman

Go to E Bay and enter "Lenco #840". I have one of these it cost $22 to my door. I have used it in a vise, in a small press, & the hammer method, the press & hammer produced the best results. I have used it & loaned it out for 2 years. It is not a $200 tool, but then again it was only $22. Range is from #8 to 4.0. Been making battery cables from 2.0 welding cable.

Last edited:

jasonjc

The HF hyd crimper will NOT work. I got one and the dies are way too small. At best it will do 8ga maybe 6ga. but thats about it.

Jones

Harbor Freight may not have top-of-the-line stuff but I've never had tham refuse to exchange a broken product for a new one.

The swat with a hammer crimpers seem to last forever.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for all the great replies fellas. You guys make this site the best resource in the world.

I sincerely appreciate it. Soon I will post some pics of my progress.

rmgill

Clinto, I just saw this thread. I have some humongus crimpers at work. I can either crimp them here or lend you the tool if you need it for something attached to the truck.

It does AWG 4 up to AWG 0000 iirc.

CGarbee

I'm late to the party... :) but I have one like Will's (strike with hammer) that I got from McMaster-Carr and have used it for years... Works great and wasn't very expensive. Used it on cables for everything from a buddy's MGBGT to a CAT 977K (and, of course, a high number of the MV's that have passed through my yard...).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks