• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Battery sparks a lot when I connect it

Vic_949

Vic_949

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/tm-5-6115-585-12-pdf.631487/ I would read pages 134 - 141 in this TM. It has a lot of good information about the starter. BUT...if you are getting high current sparks when connecting your batteries EVEN WITH all of the wires and the cables removed from your starter, then your problem is in the way that your batteries are being connected.
Al so I forgot to tell you this when the connected the battery’s they sparked and the starter turned I see if the master switch was on but it was off

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Does it tell me how to I adjust the metal price in side the starter solenoid
I would read the TM to find out. One other question that I have. When you say that you get "sparks" while connecting your battery cables, are they high current sparks or low current sparks? Is the master control switch in the off position?

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
How can I find the glow plug relay and the alternator also when I got the starter brand new I instead correctly and the batterys didn’t spark
Read and study intently the TM that I sent to you. These machines are designed very well, and the more that you get to know yours the easier it gets to troubleshoot things like you’re dealing with. I’m a little confused about your starter. So you have a new one that is causing the battery cables to spark? Or is that with your old one? It sounds like you’re going down a rabbit hole. I’ve been there, it’s no fun. Take things one step at a time. Starters can also be bench tested with a little knowledge. If you have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it, it’s one of your most valuable tools for tracking down electrical issues. If all of this is above you, it’s ok. None of us know everything. Find a local friend who knows electrical stuff who’s willing to help. Again, I wish that I was closer. I would help.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you downloaded the -24P TM? have you looked at this picture?

If it did not spark before you took it apart, and now sparks, there is only two possible answers. The wires are not hooked up Properly, or you put the starter back together wrong.

1679010087150.png

Guyfang

Staff member
VIC wrote:
No. The starter solenoid is a throw away item. So there is no picture, or explanation on how to adjust or repair it.

Al so I forgot to tell you this when the connected the battery’s they sparked and the starter turned I see if the master switch was on but it was off
You do NOT have the wires hooked up correctly.

Vic_949

VIC wrote:
No. The starter solenoid is a throw away item. So there is no picture, or explanation on how to adjust or repair it.

How do I put the starter solenoid back correctly look what I bought the starter brand new hasn’t been taken part off
The battery doesn’t spark 2 days a go when I when to test the starter solenoid I took out those 2 screws and the black wire that comes out from the starter to the solenoid. When I got the new starter I hooked the wires right to we’re they go. After I took r apart the solenoid and put it back and went to connect my battery’s that’s what I notice that they sparked when I connect the last battery terminal. I check if I put the wires right and I did I put them in the same place like the starter wiring diagram.

Attachments

Vic_949

VIC wrote:

Is there a way to fix the starter solenoid?

428gearhead

Is there a way to fix the starter solenoid?
FWIW, the solenoid has two functions- engages the starter to the engine flywheel, but also controls current flow to the starter motor. There is a copper disc inside the solenoid that bridges a set of contacts when the coil is magnetized and the plunger is pulled in. I have seen these weld closed as well as burn up. Try disconnecting battery cable to solenoid, then check continuity between the two large terminals on the solenoid. Should be an open circuit when solenoid is not energized. If not, power is going to starter motor when it should not be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks