• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery?

SouthTexasDiesel

One of the battery's on my M35 is not holding a 12V charge, within 1 minute of charging it drops down to 10.2 and stays there. Just low enough so the truck won't start.

What types of battery's are yall getting to replace them that might be available at a decent shop for a price that won't blow my wallet. Also, the labels on mine are worn down so I can't see what age they are or the power ratings. What are the ratings for the batteries?

Other than this the truck has run flawlessly since I bought it. It's the only vehicle around that can get around my ranch without the front axle locked, and we've got some serious 4x4's. Thanks for all the help SS.

Chevytruck

you can get normal batteries from any store and use those... if where you are is warm enough... colder... i would say commercial batteries...

littlebob

Sounds like a dead cell. I've seen plenty of posts on using all kinds batterys from Wallmart to Optima. I was able to find the original 6TL's at a place in town(Wholesale Battery) that have a Delstar lable. The consensus seemed to be that you change them in pairs that match whatever batterys you decide to go with. I bought mine 2yr ago for abought $150 a piece

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the info you need.
BTW, lead acid batteries love cold weather for the low self discharge rate (they live longer), but want room temp for best cranking performance.

Edit: The only reliable way to check your batteries is to get a hydrometer and measure the specific gravity.

Attachments

Last edited:

kc5mzd

I looked everywhere for the original 6TL batteries but couldn't find any. I found 78DT batteries from Sam’s Club that fit reasonably well. They are smaller but still have 800 cold cranking amps. I haven't had any problems starting any of the trucks I put them in even on the coldest days here in central Texas.

tm america

i put dual purpose batteries from auto zone in mine the are a marine battery that acts like a normal battery to i have one in my tractor i started everytime this winter even when it was below 0 i put them in my deuce and it starts way better that it ever did even wirth two new 6tl s in there temp doesnt seem to affect them much at all the 6tl batteries need to be cycled regularly or the crap out really quick but marine batteries can go six months or more without being cycled and still be like new

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Granddad used to beat the old 6V tractor batteries on the side with a big rubber mallet and then try charging them. A few came back that way. I can still hear him "Non't never beat the battrys on the ends, boy! Always on the sides, knock the crud off'n the plates!" There -was- beer and tractors involved.. Many of my ways are his old ways.

Sumoman

Since I started buying Optima batteries I have never had any issues with them on my POV's. One started giving me trouble at just over 2 years old and it was replaced for free. They use a different gel plus its a spiral cell, can take a bullet and still work.

I will be going with these on my Deuce because my Jeep sits for weeks and sometimes months at a time and never needs a jump. Also you may want to consider a simple energy saver for the battery and a Good Jump Box.

I put my money into a set of Optima Yellow Model D34 paid $190 ea. and purchased a set of Optima 6TL Adapter plates from OD Iron
I have heard and read good things about these batteries so I figured I give them a try.

Stay tuned I'll let you know how it turns out. I've only had them three months and they have not failed yet:roll:

Regards,
Rick

rivired

i found a big full size diehard boat battery out in the woods one time..it took 3 days to charge but now its the best most long lasting battery ive ever had..id go with marine deep cycles..i run two in a jeep cherokee and it works great..however the experts may have input on any issues with putting these in a series for 24v..that i dont know.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to read up on the use of "deep cycle" vs starting batteries. A starting battery rarely gets discharged and I think a deep cycle needs to be discharged every so often.
IMHO the red-top is a better choice here, but I could be wrong....

Edit: A yellow-top is good if you have an electric winch, for example..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks