• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battleship Expo-Richmond, CA Starts Dec. 9-11 with MV Displays

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just for completeness and confirmation, USS NJ is in Camden, USS Wisconsin in VA Beach, USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor, and now USS Iowa will be in San Pedro. That's all of the Iowa class.

Major Asstyrd

I can make it on the 11th if anyone from the bay area(CUCV crew?) wants to make it down as a group. I am busy on the 10th.
There will be some MVCC members there. Are you in our club?

BTW, I heard a rumor they might put the ship on display in San Francisco for a couple weeks after leaving Richmond if it can be worked out. Some of us are thinking of letting air out of its tires so it has to stay. 'Course knowing SF, it probably won't be worked out.

Major Asstyrd

what about going on the 17th ?
If you are asking if it's OK, the answer is in that link I posted. Any weekend but Christmas. They will love to have you participate. Also note the reference to the National Park Service media announcement at the ship on 12/7.

firefirefire90

There will be some MVCC members there. Are you in our club?

BTW, I heard a rumor they might put the ship on display in San Francisco for a couple weeks after leaving Richmond if it can be worked out. Some of us are thinking of letting air out of its tires so it has to stay. 'Course knowing SF, it probably won't be worked out.
I am not in your club. I would love to see the ship in SF, but too many people dislike anything that has to do with the military. Would be nice if they could have the ship over at Alameda or Treasure Island. Maybe next to the USS Hornet!

what about going on the 17th ?
I'm good with that. I read the sentence wrong. I thought it said 17/18 closed, but that was referring to Christmas.

Last edited:

Josh

I remember seeing the USS Missouri when she stopped in Oregon on the way to Pearl Harbor. Something I will never forget and I can tell ya if ya have the chance to see one of these ships in person, DO IT. You will not regret it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I visited the "Big Mo" when I went to Pearl Harbor......very impressive.

I also visited the Arizona.......very somber.

It is a shame they cost so much to keep in service.......nothing reached out and touched the bad guys like a 16 inch, 2700 round fired from 23 miles away.

Major Asstyrd

It will be interesting to see if they can get the word out about the open houses adequately. My guess it will go viral as word-of-mouth takes over. So January might be busy. But even more interesting will be if they make a stop in SF in some high profile spot and they get mobbed with visitors. That will wake up the tourism folks. But it will be too late. They had their chance. Maybe there will be another nice warship to put in San Francisco someday.

My sister lives in an Apt building 2 blocks from where the USS Iowa will be in San Pedro. I plan on being there when it comes in. She lives on the 16th floor facing the channel where the ship will be docked. Can't wait. I went on the USS Wisconsin in VA and visited the USS Missouri and USS Arizona, the isze of these ships is amazing. Does any one know if she will be sailing under her own power?

Major Asstyrd

I would be willing to bet, that she will be Towed.
Yes. And before anybody asks, no riders on the way down. However there is a deal for the top donors to ride the ship up the channel to San Pedro. They will pull in somewhere and load aboard the top 200 "Plankholders." Don't know what it will take but you can check out the Plankholder program on their website or at their info table in the temporary museum in Richmond.

truck1

I am interested in a visit to Richmond on the 17th.It is very close to my AO.I can bring the 1028 also.I'm going either way-dont want to miss it!

tamangel

going tomorrow.. Saw and toured the Missouri in SF, 20 plus years ago.. Cool..

Thanks for the initial heads up Major A, just glad I was coming down for that weekend.. works out great

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks