• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

beating the dead horse, disconnecting rear axle

panzerbob

:deadhorse:

OK, I have one more presssing question before I get my new Deuce, I have read that disconnecting the rear or middle axle will possibly get better economy. Has anyone confirmed an actual savings? And how does one go about that? I have read through all the posts concerning this (only took till 3 in the morning :) ) but there does not seem to be an actual discription on what is involved, and if there are any special parts/tools I need to accomplish this. I understand that the axles will become mis-aligned durning the drive, not a problem to fix when I get it back to Las Cruces. Is there anything I need to plug up possible "holes" in the drivetrain that fluids could leak out of or crap get into? I must admit that I have had no time under a m35 yet, so I do not even know how the drivetrain is setup!

:deadhorse:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i quess you could disconnect the drive shaft between the 2 rear ends but i havnt heard of anyone else doing it to save on fuel or for any other purpose. id love to heard some more about this TIm

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's more for turning radius and tire wear. If you are buying the duece for fuel economy, it is the wrong vehicle. :lol:

M1075

There are different ways of accomplishing this. The cheapest (free) is to simply remove the rear driveshaft. 4 bolts each end. The preferred way is to get a desplined axle shaft and use a lockout hub on one side of one rear axle to allow engagement/disengagement at your discretion (on-road/off-road).

sermis

I used a lockout hub on the rear axel first. One side, had a lot of hop and spin and hop from the front rear. Moved the lockout to the front / rear. 70% better. Still have spin but lot less hop and easier to drive. No idea on gas mileage, never checked. Cheapest way is to remove the axel and use a front hub or just a cover plate to keep the oil in.

Massm35a2

I took my shaft off a few weeks ago. I am going to be putting it back on, The wheels spin when ever I try to take off. I have to lock in the front to avoid spinning the tires.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my rear drive shaft is out, never had a problem even in wet weather, though can get stuck in mud if the front if not locked in

Opie

You just need a socket wrench with large one inch plus-sized sockets and a cheater bar of some type for added leverage. I'll try and check the size needed in the am.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this is just a, "get it home," thing, do what sermis said. It'll get your truck home w/o the axles arguing with each other. Just get a front hub and put it on the open hole at the end of the axle hub where you will be removing the front/real axle. If you're traveling far, it'll give you some smoothness and mild fuel economy improvement along with a little less tire wear. This method is cheaper and easier, and you won't have to lay on the ground and cuss as much. Do the lock-out hub later on.