• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beaufort, SC to Houston, TX

CINCPAC

Howdy! This is my first post, and I want everyone to know that I've appreciated all of the lists of what to take when picking up an M35A2C. The EUC has finally come through (auction was July 15, and hopefully we'll be able to drive it home from Gulfport, MS.

What does this have to do with Beaufort?

My EUC also just came through for my A/M 32K-4A four-wheel trailer (auction was June 25). This trailer weighs 2,490 lbs empty, and is 18' L x 6' W x 3' H) and is located at Beaufort, SC. Given that both EUCs came through simultaneously, I'm concerned that I won't be able to pick up both myself.

I was really surprised that both EUCs came through on the same day, particularly since the EUC for the trailer was my first.

I realize that the ideal thing to do would be to pick up the deuce in Gulfport, find that topping up fluids and replacing batteries is all it needs, and then cruise over to Beaufort and pick up the trailer and tow it home to Houston. I'm just not certain my luck is that good! It's 1049 miles from Beaufort to Houston, and I think I'd be pushing my luck.

I'd be happy to know what y'all think. In the meantime, does anyone have a load going from Beaufort through Houston?

John

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

I agree it is a long drive, and even longer in a deuce. I'd drive to Beaufort in a pick-up or big SUV, pick up the trailer and pull it back to Gulfport and take delivery of the deuce. Once you see the deuce, check out the deuce and see what condition it's in to see if it will make it to Houston. Rent a RV storage spot for a month to park it, go back and get it to drive it home or arrange to have it shipped. I paid $1400 to have mine trucked back home from Huntsville. I went through a frieght forwarder and paid a little more, if I would have just found a trucking company it would have been cheaper. My deuce was in great shape but still had a few issues ( 2 parking brake springs broken and making noise and a rear axle seal started to leak after 50 miles). I'm glad I shipped it, did not want the headache if it broke down on the way home.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carefully add up what it will cost you to do the recovery by yourself and hired out. When you add up fuel, hotels, contingencies, you will find it is a wash between the two options. Unless you have a roadside uh-oh, then you will be wishing your truck and trailer was riding high on a Landoll. Don't forget how hot it is right now, a difficult roadside repair can turn into heat exhaustion really quick. Your haul is on a major east-west trucking route, with plenty of hungry drivers out there looking for loads at $1.50 a mile.

Armada

Welcome to the SS family. You should plan a couple extra days in Beaufort. It's a beautiful town/area. Lots of spanish moss hanging from the huge live oaks, old red brick buildings, tall palms, etc. I was down there a couple weeks ago on Lady and Harbor Islands kayaking and loved it. Parts of the movie Forest Gump were filmed there. The part of the movie where he runs his shrimp boat into the dock is where we put in at. Nice place. Bring sunscreen!

jwaller

I could pick up the trailer and bring it to atlanta for you for a fee. you could get it from there or have another member bring it further west.

CINCPAC

Thanks for the advice concerning transportation. Like John Wayne said, a man needs to know his limitations.

Thanks also, JWaller, for the offer of transport to Atlanta for a fee. I'm waiting on a quote from a broker now for the entire distance, and will let you know what happens. You might have to hold onto that trailer for a bit in Atlanta, would that be a problem?

CINCPAC

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer, JWaller, and to everyone for their advice.

Eric with Hotshot is handling the pick up and delivery of the trailer, and has managed to get on this project in record time, and at a good, fair price. I couldn't be happier.

I highly recommend Eric.

CINCPAC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks