• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed intallation on bobbed deuce

dirtyfingernails

When installing an M105 trailer bed onto a bobbed deuce, how is it done? Do you simply cut the angle brackets off the trailer, lay the bed onto the duece frame rails, and drill up through the angle brackets on the deuce and bolt the bed? Thanks.
Steve

JasonS

I welded extensions to the four rear mounts and drilled through the side of the frame rails. The fronts used modified M105 clamps cut and narrowed to fit the M35 frame.

dirtyfingernails

Jason,
Those extensions on the trailer, are they the right width already? In other words, with them in place, do they fit right up on the duece frame rails? Why do you have to extend them? If you could send a picture or two, I'd be greatly appreciiatiive. Thanks.
Steve

Blythewoodjoe

Well here's a quick question. Did you put the axle back in it's original place or did you move it back a little? I had planned the put a M105 on the back of Bob D. Deuce, but didn't measure everything real good before shortening the truck. I put the axle in it's original place and sat the M105 on the back and AHHHH! It not fit. I didn't want to fool with making a longer drive shaft so I put the M101 on the back. That looks goofy. It was just too narrow. I did look at a hummer trailer and it had fender extensions that would have make it look the right size for the deuce, but they are rare and pricey.

I cut a stock M35 bed down and made it the width of the front fenders of the deuce and 8.5 feet long. Pictures to follow as soon as I find them on the computer :?

Blythewoodjoe

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

Joe,
Nice work! I'm a wimp--I bought my deuce from Dave at Eastern Surplus. He's the one who cut it down to accept an M105 bed. You can see an example on his website: http://www.easternsurplus.net/images/kentva5.jpg. My truck is similar to this, except I wanted singles on the rear. I want to eventually get some Michelin XLs on it. Probably just 1100s. Anyway, I'm doing the bed install myself because I have a spare M105 trailer and wanted to know whether to cut the angle brackets off the trailer or use them as JasonS indicated above. Dave said that the bed should be raised about 3/4 to 1.5 inches or so clear larger tires comfortably. Just trying to figure things out before I get the truck. Thanks.
Steve

JasonS

The flanges that hand down from the M105 bed are the right width for the M35 frame. However, they are too short. They just extend a little past the curve of the top of the M35 frame. I'll take some pics today. I had to move the rear axle back about five inches to center the wheels in the M105 wheel wells.

Blythewoodjoe

I figured it would take a 5 or 6 inch move of the axle to make the M105 bed work. The funny thing is now that I made the 8.5' bed for my truck I wish I had it 9'. If you look at most 1 ton civilian trucks as well as smaller trucks, the rear axle is about centered with the bed. I think my truck looks a little short with the bed I have on it. I think the extra 6" would have centered the axle nicely. If you look at a M105 the axle is about 6" closer to the rear, which is what you want with a trailer anyway. I almost cut the fender wells out of a M105 and make me a set of custom fenders that would look a lot like the front fenders on the deuce. I was going to mount them centered in the bed and centered over the axle. I just don't have any good way to fab up stuff like that. I also concluded a dump truck would be nice again and figured the flat bottom would be good. I was going to buy the steel to make the whole bed, but I had the old deuce bed sitting around collecting rust.

And there you have it.
Joe Trapp

vinny-socom1

I've Bobbed my duce and used the M105a2 bed assy. I lengthend my drive shaft 5" so the axle would be centered under the M105A2 bed, I also cut the frame(tongue) & shackles off of the M105A2 and made angle brackets to line up with the duce's original bed mounts and just mounted the bed on the original M105A2 frame... this takes care of tire clearance(6" higher) and everything can be unbolted for repairs or access., I'm also running 16.00x 20 XZL tires?? I'll try to get some photo's here soon my camera got dropped..now it doesn't work..Hope this helps!!

dozer1

I think this is called "thread resurrecting" but it kinda touches on something I have wanted to know but didnt feel it worthy to start a thread for. Can you use a M101 trailer on a bobber instead of a M105? I see here that the M101 might be physically smaller and not look right. If someone finds this post, any input would be appreciated..thx

ranchhopper

You can leave the C-channel frame on the 105 bed but you have to put a one inch oak strip in between the frames so when you draw the bed down it puts pressure on the bolts and will not come loose.I positioned the bed on the truck and welded 4 inch heavy gauge angle iron to the 105 frame just above the original bed fasteners on the deuce frame then use through bolts to draw them together.

donkdonk

I think this is called "thread resurrecting" but it kinda touches on something I have wanted to know but didnt feel it worthy to start a thread for. Can you use a M101 trailer on a bobber instead of a M105? I see here that the M101 might be physically smaller and not look right. If someone finds this post, any input would be appreciated..thx
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Here are a couple pics of a Bobbed deuce with a M101 bed that I just finished up, so you are just in time. You have to widen the fenders because it is not as wide as a M105, but I think the lines look better at the bottom of the bed and the top of the cargo cover. I can start a thread with about a million pics if anyone wants to see them.

Attachments