• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

dabtl

I had worked on cars in my teens and have always been fairly mechanically inclined through my life.

But, a year ago, the M35 looked fairly spooky.

Strange motor, strange wiring, strange this and strange that were daunting.

In the past week I have finished rebuilding the steering gear box, built new hood bumpers(thanks to the posts of another member) and today I wired up a new horn kit, using tools from eBay and connectors from Saturn.

In the process I have learned to solder, pull the engine mounts and a little about electronics.

Next month it is lockout hubs time. I am looking forward to that chore a lot. :D

Cdub

I have done a lot the same as you. When I got my M925 things looked a bit out of place but now I've done so much and have become very familar with the workings and the way she's put together. How could I have done anything else. I should have started with the MV before the classic car thingie.....to much chrome and shiny paint and please don't touch and look....just gets way out of hand.

MV's are the way to Go.......!!

Good luck with the M35. I'm sure you'll have a great time working and taking her out for rides.

Cheers,

C'dub

dabtl

The horn is really loud. I think the problem with most of the MV horns lies with the twisting of the wire when the wheel turns. After years it kinks or shorts.

dabtl

You may want to look at the M35a3 offerings. They are more 'modern.' The price may be a little steep for a while, however.

There are a lot of really nice looking M35 offerings at Smyrna. I would look for one with winch, they seem to be claiming many have a winch that do not, and a top for the cargo. Many appear to have solid tops, also. That would be icing on the cake.

You are lucky to have this choice. I would buy at least two if I lived as close as you.

Do not worry about the not starting. The batteries appear to be the problem.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I counted something like 217 deuces being sold at GL at the same time of the Smyrna sale. I think I have a good chance at picking up one for a good price. I was looking at the ones with the winch and the lowest hours/miles. I didn't think about the cargo canvas but that would be a great thing to have. The A3's will probably go for about twice what I'll pay for 2 A2's.

Since this is my first attempt at GL, it will be several weeks before I can pick it up. Probably about the time we FINALLY get some rain and the deuce will make my yard into a big mudhole.

dabtl

These do not go 70 mph down the interstate. Take your time. They will tell you when you can pick it up. Usually about two weeks.

Low hours and miles do not mean much. They were rebuilt many times, count on it.

Get a nice one. You will then have to ask the stupid questions: Why don't my turn signals work and such.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Re: RE: Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

dabtl said:
These do not go 70 mph down the interstate. Take your time. They will tell you when you can pick it up. Usually about two weeks.

Low hours and miles do not mean much. They were rebuilt many times, count on it.

Get a nice one. You will then have to ask the stupid questions: Why don't my turn signals work and such.
Kind of what I figured. I guess my strategy will be to look them over and pick a few with the least rust, nicests cabs, and the cleanest engine compartments.

dabtl

RE: Re: RE: Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

I would check out the wiring, from what I have learned. Tires are important also.

Good luck. Post pics of the purchase.

Don't forget, when you are stumped, this forum can usually come up with an answer.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

Soldering is a good skill and will serve you well. Solder 'everything' and you will have very few electrical problems.

kcimb

Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

OPCOM said:
Soldering is a good skill and will serve you well. Solder 'everything' and you will have very few electrical problems.
And make sure your connections are secure-not loose, that they are covers with heat shrink/insulation...

Many a times have I had to spend hours de bugging a circuit board I screwed up.

Blood_of_Tyrants

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

Being somewhat of an "expert" on soldering, I'll give a few hints.

First, NEVER, EVER use acid core solder or use an acid based flux for electrical connections. Acid core is okay to fix the radiator, but not the electrical connections. Always use rosic core solder or rosin flux. Acid flux will eventually eat away at the connection and open up. Or even worse, it will give you an intermittent problem.

Rosin overflow can easily be cleaned off with alcohol but leaving the rosin flux on it won't hurt.

Tin the wire by dipping the end in rosin flux and heat it and apply solder.

Heat the terminal, not the wire. Push the solder into the heated joint. Small wires need a small amount of solder. Don't overdo it.

Hold the wire as still aas possible to prevent a cold joint that will not properly be connected.

Use the right size soldering iron. Too big will melt and burn things you don't want melted and burned. Too small will never heat the pieces up to the melting point of the solder.

Use heat shrink instead of electriciians tape to insulate solder spliced wires. It is cheap and easy to use and much more dependable than tape.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

All my soldering is done with my excellent Weller table model with very quick heat up time and constant temperature based on the tip I put in the handle. It is 7,000 miles away so no pictures but a table mount soldering iron is the best of all I own.

dabtl

OK! Now I know I can do anything!

I bought new front and rear composite lights, searched out shorts and worked in the grounding all around. I changed out the steering gear, painted the steering column and cut away enough paint under the turn signal switch to ground it no matter what happened.

A new flasher, on a hunch, and bingo! Turn signals again after more than a year just kind of fooling around. I got after this after putting the new horn button in place.

Now, we are ready for the Armed Forces Day Parade in Dallas. The truck gets loaded with Vietnam Vets. Flashing lights, horn and we are ready to head up Commerce Street in style.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Sounds Great thanks for riding the Vets in the parade. The duece looks great with big American flags flying from the troop seat frames.

DMgunn

Re: RE: Beginning to Think I Can Do Anything!

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
Is that you from the FALFiles, Bill?
Well, that makes four FALers that I've noticed on SS....and I've spent barely enough time there to notice much of anything.

I'd bet there are more.....