• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt Wiki

Belt Wiki Inconsistency

So in preparation of replacing my belts I've been researching, and when I compare the numbers on the wiki I'm getting mixed results.
The dayco and gates numbers don't seem to cross reference.

See here:
http://www.autobeltsonline.com/autobeltcrossreference.html

The wiki says:
Driver side alt- Gates# 25-7575; Dayco# 15580

Passenger side alt- Gates# 7483; Dayco# 15490
Power Steering- Gates# 7448; Dayco#15455

Last edited:

cucvrus

I will tell you what I do. I take the truck/blazer to the parts store with the tools and change them out in the parking lot. That way I can walk in and out and get the belts that fit the best. Sometimes the ones listed are tight against with no adjustment in no time. I used to always use the GM belts when they were available. They worked the best. But my method seems to work well also. Make sure you loosen all 3 of them and tighten the PS and the left alternator in the proper sequence. Don't get belts that are to short right up front.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I highly recommend you stay away from the Dayco , always start to make noise , go with the Goodyear Gatorback , much better belts,

I appreciate that approach but I'm trying to avoid using the low quality over priced belts at my local checker by buying Gates or Dayco belts through Amazon. When buying online id love to get the right belts on the first try.

cucvrus

OK do it your way. I was telling you what worked best for me. I never have sqealing belts on any of my CUCV's. Except wet plow trucks that are running all night with everything wide open. Autozone even warranty's the belts for 30 days. Can't beat that.

Chaski

I've had gates belts on my GMC with poor results. After that I tried a Dayco top cog belt and was impressed. The Dayco belt has a different profile, and seems to work well on a worn pulley. I don't have a squeal anymore.. Even when it is 5 degrees outside.

Skinny

For some reason, belts are never easy to find for a CUCV. Lots of varying info and fitment issues. The ones I bought worked but were at the end of travel for adjustment. You may want to source your first set of belts locally to avoid fitment issues. That is the price you pay for going local. If you are trying to save $10 by having your cake and eating it too, you purchased the wrong truck ;)

Thanks. I'm not nearly as concerned with saving money as I am with getting good belts. It just so happens that the local guys charge twice as much for their bottom shelf belts as Amazon charges for the gatorback.

cucvrus

I do the most fooling around with my method. But in the end I have belts that last for years. Like I said the OEM GM belts were the best. But the cross reference numbers are not as exact a match. Gates belts and Dayco are the same as the original provided you try them and get good adjustment. I tend to go on the short side and even use a socket on the alternator nut to get them on the pulley. They last a long time with that method. And in the end you get a lot of adjustment out of them. That is just my opinion and real world experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks