• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Best" choice for an M35

NEIOWA

What is prefered model (or year) of M35 series. Leave out the M35A3.

Based on engine, turbo, features, etc. Looking for a duece for Fire Dept so have choice from whatever is available thru DOD surplus system (many available right now). Before looking at condition and miles. What is prefered model or model as retrofitted with____. How identify such features (ie "big red lever on right side of dash) ? Photo examples?

jasonjc

Here in AR the forrestey will not get the 2 1/2 ton's at all. Too under powed under breaked to light for the load they end up putting on them. That is there opinion.
Must of the dept that I know of that had them ran them into the groud then scraped them real fast. They also done that to most of the hummv that they got some how they thought they could knock down trees with them like a tank.(not)
I big wast in my opinion 2cents

Knucklehead

The FD in my town has an M49A2C. This is a tanker version that has been converted to a brush truck. It has a 1200 gal. capacity, but they only put about 900 gals. at a time in it. The frefighters like it but it is slow, really,really slow.

NEIOWA

Actually for my FD have M911.

But many (as the FD I'm helping) want a truck small enough for non CD. Load appropriately (like 900gal) and they work out OK for wildland tiny tanker work. 5t is better option for most applications.

Very few duece tankers available so not going to waste time

Lax

I'm new to the M35 game but why not look at a 5 ton instead. That may be what you are looking for. Just a thought though. Good luck!

NEIOWA

I'm not new the military vehicles. 25+ years. Just have not worked with anything as small as a duece. But a lot of decent ones available at present.

But many (as the FD I'm helping) want a truck small enough for non CD. Load appropriately (like 900gal) and they work out OK for wildland tiny tanker work.

CGarbee

So, I'll byte... Before I can give you my opinion as to what 2.5 ton truck you should be looking for, I need to know how you plan to use it... Tanker, Pumper, etc..
An example of things to consider for that matter: the question of if you want to look for air shift or sprague for the front axle control sorta depends on the quality of driver and expected maintenance, road conditions between the station and the "normal" response locations, and conditions at the response area...

houdel

OK, I'll bite. Here is my dream truck, with my personal preferences for a personal vehicle in parenthesis. First off, buy a M35A2, that gives you the turbo mutifuel LDT-465 engine and a few other assorted pieces, year is not all that important. Then look for:

Good running condition, save yourself some big bucks in getting your Deuce roadworthy.
Air shift front axle (much better than sprag type, mandatory as far as I am concerned).
Decent tires.
Decent paint job, unless you are planning a restoration job.
Personnel Heater (if important in your climate, in northern Michigan where I live, its a "don't leave home without it" type of thing).
"C" turbo if you like to hear it whistle, "D" turbo if you don't (mine is supposed to be a LDT-465-1D, but the turbo is quite noticeable, which I like, I'm not smart enough to know if I have a "C" turbo or "D" turbo).
Troop Seats (if that floats your boat, also give you a full "stake body" if you plan on hauling anything).
Cargo Cover (optional, you can pick a cover and bow set up for $200-$400 if the truck you find is not so equipped, but IMHO, a Deuce is not a Deuce without it!

Other opinions may vary, this is my selection!

NEIOWA

Will mount 600 water tank with a portable pump. Haul misc FF gear and up to 3 men. Low speed off trail/road use for wildland fire use. Could be up to 20mi to get to fire scene.

Older models than the M35A2, were non turbo?

Air shift front axle (much better than sprag type, mandatory as far as I am concerned). Anyone have a photo of the air shift control?

Super singles are very likely as can also get thru DOD surplus.

Decent paint job, unless you are planning a restoration job. Repaint Red.
Personnel Heater (if important in your climate, in northern Michigan where I live, its a "don't leave home without it" type of thing). Addon kit I assume. I assume cab section is a metal box that hangs down above passengers footbox?

Katch1

ne turbo probobly wouldn't be necessary for your application, heater wouldn't be either, in my opinion. If the truck you wanted for other reasons had them, then o.k., but shouldn't be a deal breaker.What about a winch? If you get into trouble could save tax dollars :) portable pump pto powered or small engine? Air shift control do you mean the one on the dash/ if so its under the instrument cluster.

motorolanut

Dueces have thier place but 5 tons are best for heavy hauling, But most FD's use old dueces, having owned both it is really personal preference..

NEIOWA

FD don't have to purchase DOD surplus. Available on indefinate loan from Uncle Sam thru US Forestery and State Foresters.

A portable pump has it's own engine (or it wouldn't be portable).

Yes 5t vs duece. I know 5t. For FD it often a drivers training issue and for a wildland truck a duece is typically sufficient. For a tanker a 5t is marginal (load of water is limited) but often better than other on hand options.

Back to the original question. Trucks available are those that were in use by units until last month. I would assume few/no nonturbo trucks in use by DOD. A review of govliq would likely indicate the story.

houdel

OK, I'll give it another shot (former FFII/ paramedic). Yes, a 5 ton truck would be better, if you can afford the premium price. More water capacity, and a lot more driver comforts, like a better engine (Cummins 250 HP vs LDT-465 140 HP at best), power steering, better brakes, etc.). The early M35's had gas engines, M35A1's had (as best I can recall) LD-427 non turbo multifuels, a really sucky engine, avoid at all costs. The LDT/LDS-465 were a much better engine, most -A2 Deuces had the LDT-465, only a lucky few had the LDS (5 ton) engine. But if you are only talking 600 gallons of water (3750 lbs, plus tank, pump and hardware, the Deuce will work just fine for you).

I assume it gets cold in Iowa in the wintertime, a personnel heater and hardtop are a wise choice. For your application, an air shift front axle is highly desired. I'll try and get some pics of the heater & air shift posted in a day ot two so you know what to look for.

Of course, as a governmental agency, you get a lot better choice and price than we scum sucking civillians! I'd strongly suggest the 5 ton series, haul a lot more water with a lot more ease! You may even luck out and find a water tanker with all the bits and pieces already installed for you!

BTW, I used to drive 3300-3500 gallon tankers, civvie 6x4 units, paved road or improved gravel roads only. For off road we had a Indian Pumps and a 4x4 jeep with a 100 gallon water tank, the Jeep was pretty dicey but we didn't have to go too far off road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks