• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best for thinning WMO

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, gas in your Cummins motor isn't a good idea.

Most of us have "multifuel" motors that can handle gas better. I'm sure there is an acceptable ratio, I just don't know what it is.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thin the WVO with diesel. 50% will be fine. If you are in a warm climate use less diesel.

Beyond Biodiesel

While I agree with what you have posted, the money saved in fuel will buy MANY hydraulic heads or even complete injection pumps.
Yes, I bought each of those failed IPs from the junkyard for $35ea. So, one could argue that the failures were due to the age of the IPs only; and regardless of the cause of those failures I was well ahead of the financial curve replacing them annually.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but is there any danger of the mix of gasoline with WVO in the combustion process? I had a diesel mechanic tell me to be cautious unless I wanted a hole in a piston? I am running a 8.3L Cummins.
Greg, myths die hard. There is essentially no reason why gasoline in low quantities cannot be in the combustion chamber of any diesel engine. In fact I have found that gasoline can be as high as 50% when blended with waste oils. The real limiting factor in gasoline usage in a diesel engine in the USA is we have alcohol added to our gasoline for octane enhancement, which can ruin some seals that are commonly used in diesel engines, if the gasoline content is over 30%.

For awhile everybody around town was fighting for WVO pickup but I guess lower fuel prices have made it easy for guys like us to cart off, I'm glad to do it...

Thanks for thread,
Greg
Yes, WVO got scarce back in 2007. Now it is fairly easy to come by, because diesel fuel has dropped to about $2.50/gal; and it is even cheaper than gasoline now.

camp9

Are you guys adding the gas or diesel before or after you centerfuge? I've done both and seems that when the gas is added before you can smell it during the process, and I've wondered if it's just vaporizing.

Beyond Biodiesel

If you add gasoline to your waste oil prior to running it through a centrifuge, then you will not need to heat your blend to get the centrifuge to do its work, so you should not smell much gasoline when running it through your centrifuge.

Additionally, if you settle your gasoline-waste oil blend for at lest 24 hours, and you are good at separating the sediments from your gasoline-waste oil blend, then you will find your gasoline-waste oil blend will need fewer passes through your centrifuge to get clean.

If you want to save yourself a lot of work, and you have lots of time for settling your gasoline-waste oil blends, then you could settle them for a month before centrifuging them.

camp9

I was worried I was driving off the gas runing it through. Most of my oil sits for months, sometimes a year or two. IF I do add gas ahead of time it's only because I got some oil that already has gas in it, like from a shop that dumped it in with their wmo.

skinnyR1

If you want to save yourself a lot of work, and you have lots of time for settling your gasoline-waste oil blends, then you could settle them for a month before centrifuging them.
If you let things settle for months, or years, will it all settle out on its own, and require only filtering? I have two 55 gallon drums mixed 4:1 with gas, they've been sitting for over a year, and wonder if I can just filter them down to a micron and run it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got a ton of 10micron filters for next to nothing in one of my "GL grab bag lots" and have been using them to pre-filter fuel. 1micron seems like overkill, but I'm sure its better in the long run.

Beyond Biodiesel

What is the number one thing that causes fires.
Sparks and matches, otherwise there is no reason why a gasoline-based waste oil diesel fuel will catch on fire.

I was worried I was driving off the gas runing it through.
No, gasoline in the blend acts as a fire starter, so it improves the combustion of the heavier oils.

Most of my oil sits for months, sometimes a year or two. IF I do add gas ahead of time it's only because I got some oil that already has gas in it, like from a shop that dumped it in with their wmo.
If you never add gasoline to your waste oil, then the sediments will never settle out. So, you will help your settling process if you add gasoline to your waste oils as soon as you get them.

If you let things settle for months, or years, will it all settle out on its own, and require only filtering? I have two 55 gallon drums mixed 4:1 with gas, they've been sitting for over a year, and wonder if I can just filter them down to a micron and run it.
Yes, as long as the gasoline has been in the blend for at least 1 month, then all one may need is filtering; however, I recommend using a centrifuge.

I got a ton of 10micron filters for next to nothing in one of my "GL grab bag lots" and have been using them to pre-filter fuel. 1micron seems like overkill, but I'm sure its better in the long run.
Filtering down to 10µ is fine, but I use 1µ filters, plus a centrifuge. I reason one can never be too careful when making DIY diesel fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks