• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best location for mechanical temp gauge?

ida34

I need to get off my butt and get a mechanical gauge set in my truck. Running a T for the oil pressure is no problem but I need a good place to put the temp probe for the temp gauge. Is there a good plugged port that goes into a water passage that anyone else knows about or has used? I have yet to start looking around but hoped someone else had already figured this out.

Armada

Chuck, I think there was thread on that not too long ago. I put mine on the rear of the right side head. The left rear has the temp sensor for the idiot light, the right has a block off plate. It's the same position as the front of the heads where the coolant crossover goes (except at the rear of the engine). You can still order from the dealer the left side cover plate with the threaded center for the idiot light, and the gasket. I still might have the p/n around here someplace. Remove the blockoff plate on the right rear head, and add the threaded one. Viola'... now theres a place to mount the probe. I mounted my 2" gage to the left of the voltmeter. For power to the temp gage light, I tee'd into the voltmeter light.

ida34

Thanks for the input. I hope to get to it in the next couple of weeks. I plan to mount mine on top of the dash board with the wires running up from the speaker hole. I also want o put in an oil pressure gauge so next to the volt meter is out of the question. I also put my backup glow plug override button next to the volt meter already.

Paul,
If you can come up with the part number I would appreciate it.

ida34

Cancel that Paul. I was just thinking. Do you say it is the same plate as is already on the front of the left head? If it is the same, and I suspect it is, I can take one off my junkvee.

mangus580

Paul, I would still like the #. I need to get one.

Ida, when I mounted mine, I used a plastic 'project' box that I mounted on the radio bracket on the dash. I will try to snap a pic of it tomorrow. Nice thing is, it allows me to mount switches in it too...

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry guys, I didn't realize this was for the CUCV. I read speaker hole in the post below mine and figured it out. Disregard my post about the probe spot.

ida34

Mike,
I have a mount attached to my radio bracket that I use for my laptop but I would still like to find a project box to enclose them on top of the dashboard. Where do you get your project boxes? Also, what size box did you use? I also need one for the boost and pyro on the deuce.

Thanks
Chuck

mangus580

My box came from a pile of junk here at work :) The size I used is actually quite large, it is the same height as the radio bracket, and probably 2/3 the width. It actually fits perfect with the arctic heater controls. It will hold 3 gauges, and a whole string of switches.

Why mount the laptop that high? why not have a mount from the floor next to the 4wd shifter?

Armada

Sorry guys, thought the packaging was still on the bench in the garage. Must have tossed it after I installed it. Just ask the dealer for an exploded view of the engine, it will be shown on there.

ida34

I basically made a post to mount my Jotto Desk mount from my Excursion. I will get picks when I can. I took a long bolt and bent it at 90 degrees then bolted it to the radio bracket. I then used a metal shock bushing sleeve to get the right diameter. The desk clamps to a pole mounted to the floor in my excursion. The pole is removed and the swing arm mechanism mounts to my home made mount.

Armada

Heres a pic of where the probe is located. Not a good one though, too much stuff to hold out of the way and take a picture at the same time, but you get the idea.
You can just see the top of it and the line running from it to the gauge. Here is one of the gauge placement too.

Attachments

Armada

Yes, the top inside of the head. There is a block off plate that is normally there. The opening is symetrical to the opening on the other head for the idiot light. You can see the wire coming from it in the picture. You need to get the plate from that side where the idiot light sensor plugs into. You can still order them from the dealer, or pull one from a scrap engine. Sorry I couldn't get a better shot of it.

Jetnoise400

Just a question here, on the parts TM I have (downloaded from LOGSA) it shows a plug on the drivers side front corner of the head where the temp sender goes. Mine is not there, it's mounted in the plate Armada describes. But, I am pretty sure that there is a plug in the head that might be just the ticket for a mechanical probe... but you'll have to run that line past all the injector tubes and stuff.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Do I? :D

ida34

There are two sensors. One is for the idiot light that is basically an on off type of sensor when the engine gets to hot it completes the circuit and the light goes on. This is the one on the front of the driver's side head. It is actually mounted from the side in front of the exhaust maniford if I remember right. The one Paul is talking about is a temp sensor for the glow plug system. This one is a variable resister that changes resistence to measure the temp at differant temps. This is the type of sensor used for gauges instead of lights.

bassplayer88

if all origanal , ou already have x2 temp switches . one on each side of the head . 1 on the passenger side for the injector pump and 1 on drivers side for the idoit guage. In my setup , since the m1009 isn't being used as a vehicle any more , but a power plant. I have mech temps in both to monitor temps on both sides of the block ..

Jetnoise400

If anyone is interested, I went down to my local Chebby Dealer and got that water jacket block off plate that is threaded for the sender.

The P/N is: 14028949 and GM refers to it as a "Water Jacket Cover"

Also, the gasket is P/N 10137488

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks