• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best off road setup.

Lax

I know this subject has been writen about a few times but I thought I would ask for input again. I would like to know your opinions on off road setups for a duce in snow and mud. I think it will be a different setup then for sand and rocks.

Can a stock duce with duelies and chains all around do as well or close to as well as a duce setup as a Super Single? I'm thinking that the duelies will allow the duces to float a little in mud which is good but is not good in the deep snow and the duelies will also not all track in just two tracks. Will some heavy duty chains make up for that in the deep snow?? Thanks for your input. :?

rmgill

In some cases, you don't want to float. though it depends on the vehicle. My Ferret and Dingo can float (flat undersides) and actually paddle along over mud like a crocodile. The Deuce can't do that, so it' needs to get down to firm ground below the mud.

spicergear

Your best bet would be an 1100x 20 without a solid center of tread design so that it can bite down in. A lot of treads that are though to be fairly aggressive will work a little but if the ground packs hard and the center of the tire has more of a solid pattern to it, NO matter WHAT size cleats the side of the tire has, you won't bite in and you'll just polish the center on the hard pack and get stuck.

Lax

Spicegear,
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why I would be stuck on hard pack unless you are talking about snow. In any event, do you have a tire design in mind that would be best for what you talking about? What about what size would be best for standard duce wheels? How about the ones on the truck below? I don't know if they are the correct tires, if they are the correct size or even if i can get them without paying more for them then I did the entire truck. Please let me kow what you think. Thank you for your time and help.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here's my Michelin XDY1's. They have worked well in snow so far. A little goosey on solid ice, but I just flipped the front axle to drive and she straightened right out.

jim

Last edited:

spicergear

Lax, the tires on that FMTV truck you pictured are Michelin XML's. Popular size is 395/85R20 (about 46x16) but there's another size that's, I believe, around a 345/85R20. Both are too not designed to be on the stock deuce wheel or the old single style like the 211's or 135's. The tire that I personally would go with for a single's application on stock wheels would be a Firestone Super All-Traction ND, or S.A. Traction ND. The larger sizes like 10.00x20 have a very meaty tread and good center to allow digging. I know Brian in PA has some of them and there's gotta be a couple of other guys. Firestone lists them at 42.3" tall and a suggested 7.5" rim width.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M,
Thx. 30/32nds worth of rubber. And they are MONSTERS in the snow. Plus I can run 65 mph which has been verified by both a chase car AND GPS.

So I'm a happy camper. Literally.

And I figure as they are made to get 100k miles, I doubt I will need another set. EVER.

jim

Lax

Wallew,
Do you have any pictures of these on your truck? I like what you guys are saying and I'm guessing these are radials too? Can these be mounted on stock M35 wheels and what is the largest size that would be best Super Singles? Oh...and what do these things sell for roughly? Thanks for all your help!

mangus580

Just a different point ov view here....

Interesting thought on this topic.... Just how much do you plan to drive in such conditions? I have had decent luck with my NDT's (my video not included, thats not a fair assesment) in both mud and snow. I could understand replacing the tires with something different, if the NDT's are worn out, but even then, you can pick them up for 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of anything else.

I guess all I am saying, is you might want to take the time to evaluate the NDT's for your application before buying new tires :)

Lax

Mike,
You make a good point. My thought is that if I am going to switch to Super Singles I want to make the switch to the best option I can get within reason.

Also, one of the reasons I bought a 6x6 military truck is to go places and do things I can't do with a stock road truck. I guess my thought is that I want to be able to use this any time and anywhere I need to for either getting to something/somewhere or geting from something/somewhere. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks