• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best position for jack stands on M1008

Aidan Pryde

Hey guys,

I need to replace the worn out rear leaf spring bushings.
Normally i would lift the truck underneath the axle, but this time it is not possible to place the jack stands there.
Does anyone have a picture, where to place the jack stands (i have a pair of 6ton and a pair of 12ton stands) under the frame?
I guess the rear bumper or the tow down-shackles are no safe place for jack stands?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

I need to replace the worn out rear leaf spring bushings.
Normally i would lift the truck underneath the axle, but this time it is not possible to place the jack stands there.
Does anyone have a picture, where to place the jack stands (i have a pair of 6ton and a pair of 12ton stands) under the frame?
I guess the rear bumper or the tow down-shackles are no safe place for jack stands?
If I remember correctly under the frame towards the rear as far as possible. My M1008 is stock height and it was still a long stretch. Get some blocks of wood to reach if needed on your truck. Wherever you place your stand try to keep them out of your work area as far away as possible.

cucvrus

If I were replacing the leaf springs I would support the vehicle in the center just to the front of the rea axle and to the rear of the front axle. Make sure it is blocked and secure. Also maybe doing 1 side at a time would be much safer. Good Luck. Replace the U bolts with new ones and the bottom plates are inexpensive at a spring shop. Do it right the first time and drive on.

Aidan Pryde

Thank for your answers!
I'll do complete overhaul of the springs.
Separating leafs, sandblasting, new sliding-pads, new center bolts, new bushings, new top plates, new u-bolts.

Bottom u-bolt plates will get sandblasted too. I hope they are not that badly rusted.
IMG_20210721_192109.jpg

cucvrus

Why not replace all the leaf springs. Painting them will not restore them. It will make them look pretty. You can replace all 4 sets for about $800. in parts. It makes a world of difference. Like a new truck again. Trust me on this I have done it on several CUCV's of different variants. Stock spring with a set of 4 ply in the front. WOW.

Aidan Pryde

Why not replace all the leaf springs. Painting them will not restore them. It will make them look pretty. You can replace all 4 sets for about $800. in parts. It makes a world of difference. Like a new truck again. Trust me on this I have done it on several CUCV's of different variants. Stock spring with a set of 4 ply in the front. WOW.
True, but it's $800 plus $1300 shipping. The springs are ok, no leaf broken or sagging as hell. As long as they do their job, i will not replace them.
Last winter with lots of salt really messed the truck up underneath. I have a lot of parts here, that need to be installed also.
New fuel tank, new fuel hard- and soft-lines, new front-brake with new calipers, new rear-brake, all new brake hard- and soft-lines with new emergency brake-cables.
Safety inspektion over here is no joke and i want that certificate for historical registration.

A lot of work, but that thing is my work horse and i hope it will for years and years. :love:

cucvrus

True, but it's $800 plus $1300 shipping. The springs are ok, no leaf broken or sagging as hell. As long as they do their job, i will not replace them.
Last winter with lots of salt really messed the truck up underneath. I have a lot of parts here, that need to be installed also.
New fuel tank, new fuel hard- and soft-lines, new front-brake with new calipers, new rear-brake, all new brake hard- and soft-lines with new emergency brake-cables.
Safety inspektion over here is no joke and i want that certificate for historical registration.

A lot of work, but that thing is my work horse and i hope it will for years and years. :love:
So what you are telling me is that they do not have spring companies in Germany? I find that hard to imagine. The spring companies I have used here are local and make springs to specs in a few days or sooner. I can walk in the front door unannounced and hand them a U bolt and get one made any length or diameter in a few minutes. German vehicles have leaf springs. Did you look around for a shop? Germany is the size of Montana and I know they have a spring shop in Montana. I am being respectful but still wonder about the availability of fabricated parts in Germany or any part of the world. Custom application specific parts I can see that as a problem. I am amazed if leaf springs would fall under that category. Take Care. All I was trying to point out is metal fatigued can not be revitalized with cleaning and painting. Carry On. Thank you.

nyoffroad

When you remove the springs and before sand blasting find a spring shop and take them in and see if they can make a set for you, it will be a much better ride and might be priced better then you think. As far as inspection, I'd never say a word about changing the springs and a little spray paint or undercoating hides a lot!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's probably way more expensive here (Europe) to have things custom made then in the USA. It almost sounds like on every other street corner you guys have a spring, exhaust, axle, etc. shop. We don't have that and when you do find a shop it is expensive. Just as an example, got quoted € 1750 to get a stainless exhaust build for my friend's M1008.

On another note, I think I can refer you to a freight forwarder to get shipping costs down for you if you decide to got hat route. As an example, I got an estimate of € 960 to get 2 $240 rear leaf packs (92 lbs or 42kg) shipped to me in the Netherlands. That includes the price of the springs and import fees. Fronts are much lighter so I'd say half to 2/3 of your € 1300, which I take is without import fees added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks