• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best truck for toy hauler

Rawkng

I live in my 5th wheel toy hauler and would really like a MV to pull it. It seems as though an m35 is not comfortable highway cruising speed capable maxing out at 55mph. I have been looking at m818 and m915 and cruising speed is faster but IMO not as cool looking as a bobbed m35a2.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M818 is still limited to 55mph realistically, 65ish with 14.00s. Your best best is a m915 due to better power, possible better top speed at cost of fuel (best mpg cruising at 55), and lower frame height especially if the m818 were running the larger tires. The other option is a M931A1 or A2 with the 14.00s on it already. This would be near identical to the M818 but possibly cheaper due to availability.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you need to list your needs/likes and do pros n cons for each.

Do you need a live front axle - this will lift the fifth wheel.
Do you want a full on military look or a militarised civi truck - M915... either CCC or Freightliner will be cheaper for parts.
Likely that cruising speed will be compromised with 6x6.
Are you ok with modified Military look - ie., neutered Deuce/5ton.
Are you going to only military shows, do you want to drop n display the tractor on its own.....

... there are a myriad of options but until we know where your heart is you are going to get a lot of suggestions - perhaps that is what you want if you really have no preferences...

One idea - get a used civi FLD120 (M915A2/916A1 look alike) real cheap!, and militarise it with a grille guard, green paint, antennas etc., 70+ cruising speed, lovely interior, creature comforts etc.

Rawkng

I think you need to list your needs/likes and do pros n cons for each.

Do you need a live front axle - this will lift the fifth wheel.
Do you want a full on military look or a militarised civi truck - M915... either CCC or Freightliner will be cheaper for parts.
Likely that cruising speed will be compromised with 6x6.
Are you ok with modified Military look - ie., neutered Deuce/5ton.
Are you going to only military shows, do you want to drop n display the tractor on its own.....

... there are a myriad of options but until we know where your heart is you are going to get a lot of suggestions - perhaps that is what you want if you really have no preferences...

One idea - get a used civi FLD120 (M915A2/916A1 look alike) real cheap!, and militarise it with a grille guard, green paint, antennas etc., 70+ cruising speed, lovely interior, creature comforts etc.
I appreciate the replies fellas! I'll tailor my preferences for my future rig a bit for ya (that's the fun of it right?). I'm wanting to have a modified military look, I don't see a need to have front wheel drive if it will sacrifice cruising speed (please point out reasons for needing front wheel drive when I already have 4 in the rear).

An an idea in having is to get a tractor of one of the mentioned vehicles (not sure which one yet). Paint it flat black or green. Build a stained wooden bed so as to give it a giant pick up truck look while making the 5th wheel still accessible and functional.

I want it to be as beefy looking as possible, capable of towing my 40ft toy hauler (my home) some good distances throughout the land of the free, and keep my wife happy and comfortable in the passenger seat.

did that last part change everything? Lol. With a MV I get the truck of my dreams but the wife may hate the noise and the seats. I figure I can modify a MV to be comfortable but you guys have the experience to tell me otherwise.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By a civilian/commercial truck.

HETvet

If you can find it/afford it; M916A4. It's a 6x6 truck with a sleeper cab, air ride cab and seats, decent comfort in side and can cruse at 70 mph.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find it/afford it; M916A4. It's a 6x6 truck with a sleeper cab, air ride cab and seats, decent comfort in side and can cruse at 70 mph.

I Goobled the above and only found reference to an M915A5 which does not look like a Freightliner - it has double round headlights. There is a reference in an Olive Drab article to a 916A4 in the 915 section, seperate to the 916 section - a typo I am thinking...

Not sure if OP needs a sleeper cab since he's pulling a huge camper, though his wife could take a nap near him whilst driving I 'spose - like team driving.....

Attachments

Rawkng

Would it be possible to modify an m35a2 to be a comfortable ride and increase its top speed? Or would it be a huge monitary investment possibly not worth the upgrades. For some reason Im stuck on the looks of a modified deuce and a half pulling my toy hauler.

charger53

My rather limited experience with MVs says buy a civilian truck for your needs. I agree that the look would be great, but MV,s tend to be cold in winter, hot in summer, rough riding and slow. (all the things I love about them). However making one "wife friendly" May prove to be a massive undertaking. If you are stuck on the look, it may be to your benefit to modify a civi truck to look like a MV.

Moto2four

Sorry dude, it's just not going to happen. You can haul your stuff with a deuce or a 5 ton, but speed will be lacking. The 5 ton will suck less than the 2 1/2, but it will still suck. If you really like the idea of pulling your stuff with a deuce or 5 ton, buy one and use it occasionally, but don't bank on it as an everyday thing.

Shark Bait

You may get close to a wife comfy ride with an LMTV. they have air ride cabs, can add air, change the diff's to MRAP's for 70+ mph, insulate the cab, change the seats, up the hp a bit and add an entertainment system. That MAY suffice for a trip type ride. Mine is more comfy than others I have been in. Remove the bed of an M1078 and the frame rails may be an ok height for a camper hitch. Build a knice bed to suit the hitch. Time you get done with all the upgrades you could buy a Platinum F-450 though. Hmmm, come to think of it, I have a knice low mile Platinum F-450 that may be looking for a new home.......lol.........

Moto2four

You may get close to a wife comfy ride with an LMTV. they have air ride cabs, can add air, change the diff's to MRAP's for 70+ mph, insulate the cab, change the seats, up the hp a bit and add an entertainment system. That MAY suffice for a trip type ride. Mine is more comfy than others I have been in. Remove the bed of an M1078 and the frame rails may be an ok height for a camper hitch. Build a knice bed to suit the hitch. Time you get done with all the upgrades you could buy a Platinum F-450 though. Hmmm, come to think of it, I have a knice low mile Platinum F-450 that may be looking for a new home.......lol.........

Thats what I need.

quickfarms

Most trucks have an open differential in the rear. With a few exceptions only the marine and navy trucks can be fount with lockers. In the civilian world this is limited to construction and vocational trucks. Lockers can lead to some interesting handling on the street. Air lockers are found in some commercial trucks that go off road.

You will be surprised how far off road you can go without a driven front axle as long as you have a locker(s) in the rear axle and cross tread tires.