• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best way to apply carc

jay741

hi i have a a cucv truck on the way just waitin on the euc. i was wondering what the best way to apply carc is. i dont think a paint brush is the way to go. Is the sprayer the way to go the truck is all green. where could i get the cheapest sprayer???? also what color is the underneath of the truck oringal paint??? thanks

DonMn

A spray gun is your best bet, you can get by using a cheap spray gun they spray just as well as a qaulity one, the main difference is you can't rebuild a cheap one, or better put it's not worth rebuilding. I've been using a cheap ATD for almost ten years, I even used it on a professional level for about 5 years as my deicated primer gun.

If you go the HVLP(high volume low pressure) route make sure you have an aircompressor that can keep up with it, HVLP's use a lot of air compaired to conventional guns.

Check your local craigslist.org you might find a nice old quality spray gun something like a Binks, Devillbis or Sharpe.

Don

Jones

"Resource" tab at the top of the page then go to the tech bulletins section of the SS library. There are S-W CARC data sheets there and they have all you need to know about applying CARC... even spray gun orifice size and the best reducers to use.

ralbelt

Ditto on the HVLP. CARC lays down very easily, I did part of my M1008 last week end and will do some more this weekend. I removed the rear box, only 8 bolts two wire connections and 4 screws at the fuel fill. That way i could pressure wash the chassis wire wheel it and spray it Black which was original. I also could do the same to the bottom of the box and spray it CARC green.

yeager1

Definitely spray it on. A $40 HVLP automotive gun will do, but don't get one of those $20 latex guns. Prep is absolutely key to get carc to stick to the old coat. You need to either prime everything (which I wouldn't recommend unless the old paint is fairly bad) of scuff everything with scotchbrite (the maroon color works best). This will give you excellent adhesion and it is fast to do. Without good prep, don't even bother, it will flake off. Also, this type of CARC is IMO the best:
MIL-DTL-64159, Type II - Products - Product Finishes

poppop

If you are going to sand or spray real CARC read up on its dangers. It is best to use fresh air supplied hoods when working around it. If not then I would keep it wet when sanding and at least wear a very good fitting face mask when spraying.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted my deuce and M105 trailer with one Harborfrieght gavity fed spray gun ($9.99 on sale).

I loved it. Easy to clean, easy to use. I didn't go with HVLP but seemed to have great success anyway.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
CARC calls for a 1.8-2.2 tip. HF's cheap guns are 1.4.

I've shot CARC through the HF guns but if you can find a cheap gun with a bigger tip, that'd be better.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you are going to sand or spray real CARC read up on its dangers. It is best to use fresh air supplied hoods when working around it. If not then I would keep it wet when sanding and at least wear a very good fitting face mask when spraying.
CARC has always been a problem. The Army in Europe can only get things sprayed under strict controls. And Soldiers are NOT allowed to do it. Only privet company's, that can do it with all the safety measures that are required.

Since 2000, high-performance water-reducible CARCs were commonly used. These materials met DoD’s VOC objective of 1.8 lb/gal and contained no hazardous air pollutants.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks