• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best year to buy

choll

I am looking at a couple of duces, what would be the best year to buy if I had a choice. looking at a 1966 or 1967 right now. Any duces that I should just stay away from.
Should I look at a 5ton?

I currently have a 1009 and a 1008. I got the feaver to buy bigger after being on this site for a couple of months.

Chuck

sermis

It is the GREEN FEVER, there is no cure. Mine all started with the M725 then the M35A2 W/W which is now a M35A2C. Have a M37 project out back. I might have another M35 coming in a month. I feel a bobbed project coming. I have a big red parts deuce out back. Really, really want a 5 ton. I would have bought a deuce tractor the other day if the price would have been right. I think I need a M715.
I think price and condition are the best indicators. You need to get the truck you want and think you will be happy with. You can buy a really nice truck but it will cost big $$$. I know there are several really nice trucks for sale here. The selling price will be a less than what they have invested. Are you going to keep it stock or modified? Buy a project one and fix it up. You will slowly learn how to fix almost everything on the truck. It will nickel and dime you to death but it is so much fun.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
More important than year are the features you want, and the condition of the vehicles. dual-circuit brakes, winches and hard top cabs are expensive to add after purchase, as are to a lesser degree heaters and troops seats.

Powerplant choices are OA-331 gas, which is super quiet, LDS-427 Multifuel, which is very hard to find parts for, LD-465 Multifuel, which is reasonably quiet and parts are readily available, and LDT-465 Multifuel, which is loud and has ready parts availability.

Regards,
David

tsmall07

Re: RE: best year to buy

DDoyle said:
Powerplant choices are OA-331 gas, which is super quiet, LDS-427 Multifuel, which is very hard to find parts for, LD-465 Multifuel, which is reasonably quiet and parts are readily available, and LDT-465 Multifuel, which is loud and has ready parts availability.

Regards,
David
Which engine comes in which deuce?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: best year to buy

I'd buy this year if you can afford it. Problem is there are only a few days left which would force you to buy next year but if you wait until next year, it will be this year when it gets here and you can buy this year. Either way I'd buy sooner than later.

sermis

Re: RE: Re: RE: best year to buy

Recovry4x4 said:
I'd buy this year if you can afford it. Problem is there are only a few days left which would force you to buy next year but if you wait until next year, it will be this year when it gets here and you can buy this year. Either way I'd buy sooner than later.
rofl

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: best year to buy

tsmall07 said:
DDoyle said:

Regards,
David
Which engine comes in which deuce?
I can answer the question - the problem is many private sellers don't use the correct terminology - and rebuildings while in military service may have changed the engine.

Answer given below pertains to the day the vehicle left the factory - may not apply to the vehicles as they exist today.

M35 has OA-331
M35A1 has LDS-427
M35A2 has LD-465 or LDT-465

HTH,
David

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Type of engine

LD= no turbo, LDT= turbo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks