• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better axle boots?

Ajax MD

I installed brand new axle boots on my truck maybe 2 years ago. I drive it monthly and haven't off-roaded it, yet.
The boots have basically disintegrated. They've both split and only the fact that I used Lucas Red 'n Tacky has kept things from becoming a giant mess. The grease has stayed put.

Zippered or not, I don't care. Is there a better boot out there somewhere?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I installed brand new axle boots on my truck maybe 2 years ago. I drive it monthly and haven't off-roaded it, yet.
The boots have basically disintegrated. They've both split and only the fact that I used Lucas Red 'n Tacky has kept things from becoming a giant mess. The grease has stayed put.

Zippered or not, I don't care. Is there a better boot out there somewhere?
Seems that I read on here somewhere that there was a rash of that problem. Using NOS rubber that had maybe been in a warehouse that wasn't air conditioned maybe. Plain old deterioration. Seems like somebody in the "Big 3" had the problem. Having done it once and having almost the same experience - the replacement boots I got were pulled on and pawed at in a pretty serious manner. Looking for cracks just like with NOS twenty year old tires. Sometimes that just ain't good.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you still packing the knuckle with grease? Seems like some of the stuff from China does not like petroleum products.

Last edited:

87cr250r

Silicone will allow the oil from the grease to leak and everything will be a sticky mess. Silicone rubber is very permeable.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a thread showing some of the boots I had but could not find it. Believe some were aftermarket and had no control numbers or manufacturing numbers.
I had / got a lot of boots at rallys that were NOS and had numbers. They seemed to do OK. Only had one Deuce with Timken everything else even 5 tons had newer style axles and I did not pack the knuckles. Just greased up well the inside of spindle bushing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks