• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big "C" Whistler --- The Thrill Is Back!

SasquatchSanta

Yesterday we swapped the stock "D" turbo on my bobbed LDS duece for a standard "C" whistler.

Yes --- I know --- the "D" is a superior turbo BUT --- the sound of the whistler adds sooo much to the character and personality of a deuce.

I couldn't tell any difference performance wise between the "C" and the "D".

I intend to remove the "C" and have it polished and rebuilt with a different compressor wheel but first wanted to install it in it's stock state so I could take some boost and temp readings and then later compare the stock readings with the modified turbo readings.

I's still playing with (turning down) the droop screw setting and may even turn the main fuel screw down another flat. The pump was turned up awfully loud from the depot. I've already turned it down two flats and It's still making a lot of smoke and generating what I feel is excessive EGTs for no harder than I'm working it. Anyway, I want to get the pump properly calibrated before taking the stock "C" turbo readings for later comparisons.

The weather is starting to cool down in Northern Minnesota so yesterday I removed the water pump fan and re-commissioned the electric radiator fan.

Removing the water pump fan makes the "C's" whistle even louder. I guess it's because the fan isn't drownding out the sound of the turbo. As I've mentioned before, the cab is a lot quieter without the water pump fan churning.

In the winter the electric fan seldom runs. It comes on at 195 degrees and goes off at 175. I'm seing a marked improvement in the way the Multi runs 180+ versus 170-

There's Nothing Like A Whistler :D

alphadeltaromeo

Ernie

I really enjoy reading your posts. Post a few new pics of life up there in the great North and your deuce. Keep up the great work on your MV!

Andy

SasquatchSanta

Angus1 wrote:

What elc. fan are you using?
Try this link. This shows the first two mounting modifications but not the third and final mount. It's on a post somewhere but I can't find it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=5873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

alphadeltaromeo wrote:

I really enjoy reading your posts. Post a few new pics of life up there in the great North and your deuce. Keep up the great work on your MV!
Thank you for the compliment. The leaves are in full bloom --- If it doesn't rain I'm going to Crane Lake tomorrow to take the boats out of the water. I'll take some pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks