• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bigger front springs, need source for studs

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran into a snag here on the M882 plow truck
replacing the front springs with a set of 1 ton springs.
6 leafs now, at the differential there is one U bolt and a pair of studs on the other side.
These 9/16 double threaded studs are only 3" long, which is not long enough.
need at least 3-1/2" long.
Can't find anything anywhere over 3" long
82814218.jpg this is the stock one

below is from a discontinued Dorman # 675-048 listing
a0002361.jpg
A=9/16 UNF by 1-1/2
B=9/16 UNC by 1-1/4
C= 3-1/2 inch

I know the expensive lift kits have the longer studs, but have been unable to find out how to get just those studs from them.

Last edited:

nattieleather

Bob try doing a google search for Dorman #675-048 and see if anything pops up. Someone might cross reference it. Or if you have a shop near you that does leaf springs and hardware they might be able to make the stud for you.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you just use a grade 8 bolt with loc-tite?
So far I have found that a couple lift makers supply a pair of Grade 8 bolts for this function. Which is likely the way I'm going. Not the best or safest, as a single course threaded bolt can't be torqued like a stud with fine threads at the nut.

I would think you would be able to go to a bolt store like Fastenal and order what you need
the 3" long I listed above is all any fastener company makes (yes they can be special ordered, but I'd make & heat treat my own before I pay over a 100 $$$$ for a pair studs.
I just went to a local car quest and picked mine up
I need longer than the industry's 3" long ones which is all every place I've tried can get.

Give
Mid-States Bolt & Screw Co
360 S Outer Dr, Saginaw, MI 48601
Phone:
(989) 753-3492
Toll Free: (800) 324-3233

Or
Michigan Truck Spring a call
1-800-358-4751

http://www.truckspring.com/?keyword...Y7eoZo7Uuox5Iv8MBKJPITTbXEbgWxiTITxoCO3vw_wcB
Tried, Got someone, "less than bright", did you buy the kit from us? No, I want to buy the studs supplied in the kits. "You have to buy the kit", running in circles. May try again tomorrow, but I get the feeling if I get anywhere with them the price may be stupid.
edit: just tried again, no help

Most lift kits would have them, but trying to get one of the places give up info on how I can acquire them has proved challenging.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick seatch found this on summit racing the part is made by ARP ARP Individual Studs AQ3.475-1LB

Hope this helps.
Well shucks! I spent over a half hour on summit's site and couldn't find this.
(didn't even think of head studs)
Thanks, I'll be ordering them to replace the old used ones I ended up getting!

Last edited:

RQQ

Great thread for what I need. But I need the stock size studs. Do y'all have the specific part number for that and/or a supplier? And I saw that the Summit studs were cromoly which sounds better than grade 8. I lost both studs yesterday on a trip and luckily the ubolt held and the spring plate got caught on the leaf spring center bolt and I was able to get back to my trailer without problems. BTW I have this diff on a Jeep.
Thanks,
Richard

cajuncustom

Great thread for what I need. But I need the stock size studs. Do y'all have the specific part number for that and/or a supplier? And I saw that the Summit studs were cromoly which sounds better than grade 8. I lost both studs yesterday on a trip and luckily the ubolt held and the spring plate got caught on the leaf spring center bolt and I was able to get back to my trailer without problems. BTW I have this diff on a Jeep.
Thanks,
Richard
When i got mine i picked them up at a local parts store they were cut to fit bigger then stock so it worked just right