• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bigmike's winch rebuild

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished tearing down a winch I have for my truck. The engagement lever was broken off inside the housing and the winch was full of a very nice water/oil/grease cocktail "yuck":doh: The drum drag thingy is all gooed up and the winch brake shoe etc is shot...rusted out!

It looks like the worm gear side is good and the bearings are fine. I just need new seals, gaskets, an engagement shaft, handle etc.

BTW, the TMs were perfect!!

I have a catalog from memphis equip but does anyone have a less expensive supplier? i'd appreciate any guidance. Here are some pics of the tear down.

Oh, another question. The drive shaft where the shear pin is, is a bit torn up "see pic" I figure it'll be ok because of the low RPMs. Any reason why I'm wrong?

Thanks gang,

Attachments

ems4ty

What's up BigMike!!!

How my brother from another mother doing... haha J/K.

Good talking to you on the phone the other day. Still waiting for your much needed return to So. Cal! Anyways, good luck to you on the winch rebuild. BTW - An improper winch shear pin could damage the shaft and coupling. I think I got replacement pins from Saturn Surplus or OD Iron if I'm not mistaken. Don't really have any good leads for replacement parts for the winch though.... On my deuce, the driveshaft fit easily on the winch end and had no major slop in it. Even after busting 3 winch pins already, all still worked well.

Anyways, I'll catch ya later and it was good hearing from you again!

-Tyler :-D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That don't look too messed up, i'd run it again with the correct shear pin and re seal it. How's the weather up there, I'm still wearin' shorts...barely :wink: May, June, July? You could get here just in time for a 4th o July brew ha ha :razz:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got three spare winches an one of them has the input worn like yours. I guess it's from the driveshaft spinning with the pin broke? I would think that with all the slack with the worn input that your shear pin would wear pretty fast and could break under load prematurely due to not having a tight fit.

I think ODIron has the seal kit for the winch.

Last edited:

DanMartin

OD Iron does have the seal kit...I put one in mine. Pretty straightforward.

Mike, I know of a few grenaded winches that have been discussed on this site. I would see if you can get hold one one of them to get the replacement shaft out of one (it might be in better shape than yours). I would also look at the inside of the u-joint coupling as well....I'll bet there is some wear there as well.

If you cannot get a new shaft, you can take it to a competent machinist and they can weld up and turn down that surface back to good-as-new (for a price). I used to work for a guy who ran a machine shop that did work for the local newspaper...they were always burning up bearing surfaces on the rollers for the printing press and getting them repaired at his shop. He had this cool deal that used a lathe, a torch, and granulated metal blown through the torch flame on to the shaft...it slowly built up metal on the surface as it spun around...then he just let it cool and cut the metal back down to the right size. I know he was always doing that for them...seemed like a never-ending supply of work.

Another option is to turn down the damaged part and press on a new sleeve...then machine the sleeve down to the proper size and re-drill the shearpin hole.

Anyways...I would at least try to get it repaired a bit. It looks a bit dodgy to me, and you never know when the use of that winch may be a life-or-death situation. Something to think about.