• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Binding/ floating steering on Lifted M1008

86M10086.2L

Over the last few weeks I have begun to notice a binding condition showing up in the steering on my M1008. You can start to turn the wheel in either direction and the truck wont turn much, then you'll feel it get tight then free itself almost like there was a notch in the steering. As soon as the notch goes away the steering will catch up with itself and the truck will jerk slightly in whatever direction you were turning. I installed a steering box brace kit and a dropped pitman arm when I did my lift install. And this condition wasn't present before the lift. But I've had my lift on for at least 6 months and it's only just now showing up. Truck has about 58K miles on it. I do offroad it once or twice a month. It seems to be just outside of going straight ahead, but yesterday when I picked up my new radiator I couldn't even keep the truck straight. You would only have to turn the wheel slightly from center in either direction like you would in normal driving to keep moving ahead and it would bind then jerk in either direction. Any thoughts? After I finish installing my new radiator I'll throw it up on the lift and see if there is any play in the ball joints or tie rod ends. I'm lost on this myself.

Croatan_Kid

Worst case scenario, you have to throw on a rebuilt steering box, but I'd put money on worn out steering parts. Draglink ends, tie rod ends, or possibly some wear in the kingpins.

dieselpony

Bad axle u-joints can cause your problems. My 1008 did the same thing years ago. When I finally pulled out the axle shafts, the u-joints were binding so much that the outer shaft instead of hanging down, stick straight out from the inner shaft. Wondering that no other steering component failed because of this.

Walter

p.s.: This is my first post here. Hope you don't mind my missing introduction.

86M10086.2L

Well, the axle u-joints are not the best looking. Most likely they are the originals. Truck only has 60K on it now. But I've had u-joints on vehicles that looked terrible, but worked like new. I'll check them out when I'm off in a few days and I go through the rest of the steering system. I have noticed a clicking/clunking sound a few times from the front end when I've made turns in 4WD. Would that also be from worn out or malfunctioning axle u-joints?

Milkman357

old post.. did you get it fixed?

I'm wondering if you ever fixed your problem...

My buddy has same issues...

any advice at all woul dbe appreciated!

Zero_cool

Did you ever fix your problem? I was just driving my 1028 and as I came to a curve in the road my steering locked up.
When I came to a stop my steering wheel wouldn't turn. I kept trying to turn it back and forth until all of a sudden it freed up.
I'm having the same binding thing you described but this is the first time it has locked up

camojcory

i just had this same problem with my m1009. the front end would drift to one side and then catch and lunge back in the other direction, pretty scary driving down the road. turning the wheel while stopped you could feel it bind up and then release.

it ended up being my front axle u-joints. i didn't think they looked too bad but one was seized up completely and the other only articulated in one direction.

it was pretty easy to fix. pull tire, rotor(you need a specail socket, cost $19 or most stores will loan it for free) and a few retaining clips and the axles slid right out. bought lifetime replacements for $15 each and had a local shop press them in for $20 each. re-packed my bearings and put on new wheel seals while i was at it. only took me a couple hours and i have never done them before.

hope this helps.