• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

black out drive question

kc8oye

Can someone describe the black out drive system? I read the TM on how it works.. but I don't understand exactly what it DOES

obviously, one switch turns off all the external lights on the truck, and even the internal ones.

but what the black out drive lights and markers exactly?

I'm not even sure the truck still has all of them.. and the wiring is so hacked up.. not much in the way of lights actully works anyway.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are intended for blackouot type operations in combat. Having said thet. They don't provide much light at all. And that's on porpose. If you look at the bumpers you will see what's called the "cat eyes". If you are closer than 50 feet to the truck when they are on they will appear to be 2 lines on each side. Any more than that they will apear to be 1 line on each side. This lets you know if your following too close in a collum/convoy. The black out drive is intended to shine a small amount of light on the ground that isnt visable comming from the truck. So aircraft won't be able to see the vehicle at night. But with heat/flir equipment this system is obsolete. This only works when it's very dark, almost pitch black. You won't be able to see very far at all with them on. Hope this helps

3dubs

I would only say go out at night when there is very little light and turn them on. There is not a full moon now so go out tonight and play with them.

3dubs

When people ask I just say the ones on the bumper are there so you do not get run into and the funny thing on the grill is only good if it is really dark and you are going really slow. A full moon is much better for seing at night.

ONTOS66

The blackout system consists of two parts, black out marker, black out drive.

For safety, as in WE DON'T WANT TO SHOW LIGHT OR MAKE NOISE AND GIVE AWAY OUR POSITION - the brake lights, horn, headlights, etc. are all inoperable during blackout.

There are 4 blackout markers, 2 in the front bumper and 2 in the rear. They are used for tactical convoys. The rear marker provides a visual range reference that allows a driver to estimate his distance from the driver in front thereby (we hope) maintaining correct interval in the convoy.

The blackout drive, the single low power hooded light on the left front is intended to provide a very dim light source for a driver operating at low speed under tactical conditions.

It takes practice to use this system - and it is for off road use only. If you drive on a public road using this system and get a ticket - you deserve it.