• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blinded by the High Beam Light

houdel

Inspired by the pics of Warren's (G744) impeccable gauge panel with the blue high beam lens, I ordered a new blue lens from Saturn. After a considerable amount of work with a screw driver and pliers, I got the lens cover off and screwed the blue lens in place. Really neat, untill I took it for a nighttime drive. The blue high beam light was very glaring, to the point of annoying and interfering with my night time vision. What to do? Tried various filters, masking tape and electrical tape to cut down on the glare. They all either cut the light output to nothing, or gave me an irregular light pattern.

Then I had the bright thought to use a black magic marker on the bulb itself. Actually, I used a Sharpie laundry marker, but you get the idea. Neat part is, by controlling how much of the bulb you cover, you can get exactly the amount of illumination to suit you. Cover the entire bulb, it tones down the light quite a bit. Want a brighter light, rub off some of the marker till you get the light level where you want it. Works great for me!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, I got some blue ones many years ago from Dennis Gilliam and all of them had the little hole in the center of the cover like the original bright indicator. Did yours have this or was that the reason you took the cover off? Just gave the last 2 I had to Devilman96.

houdel

Yes, mine came with the cover but I took it off. I just liked the look of Warren's dash, the blue lens gave a nice look to an otherwise (olive) drab dash, as does his center mounted low air pressure light. I too will be installing a low air light, but it will go in my Pyrometer/boost gauge panel, mounted on the top of the steering coumn, where it will be more visible. I also plan on (eventually) wiring a low oil pressure switch and E-brake on switch into the low air pressure light for a multi function warning light. I just hate driving off with the E-brake on, it really screws up my 1st to 2nd gear shifting!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks