• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blinker question

chuck500cc

Did the search thing and couldn't find the answer. I saw a post just recently about the blinkers but I want to make sure that I know what I am looking for. I went and screened my truck yesterday and everthing was good but the blinkers. I couldn't test brake light cause I was there by myself. I turn the blinkers on and the light comes on but not blink. The indicator light on the swithch comes on but also no blink. The r/r tail light bulb is out but that should have no effect on the other side not blinking, right?

Thanks
Chuck XD Fan

Barrman

A solid non blinking light at the blinker arm and nowhere else is almost always a bad solid state blinker box. I have one doing the same thing right now.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
10-4 on that. Unlike a 12 volt car system, this one will flash the indicator bulb even if the tail light or turnsignal bulb is bad. You might check the ground on the box but, you probably need one.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't heard the word "blinker" in years!! Great to see it brought it back to life!

"Turn your blinker on!"

It's one of those words that everyone understands, uses, but is really just made up. Kind of like "sticker bush."

"Watch out for that sticker bush!"

Funny! :lol:

(Sorry. It's Friday @ 3:00 p.m.)

chuck500cc

Yea sorry bout' that. I work in the service area at a car dealership and you get used to using third grade words with people who can't understand why thier car quits when it is out of coolant.

Chuck XD Fan

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you replace the flasher unit, try giving it a couple of whacks. When mine quit on the M813, Sarge told me to do that, so I banged it several times with a padlock (all I had with me at the time). It immediately started working again, been fine for 2 years.

steelandcanvas

M813rc said:
Before you replace the flasher unit, try giving it a couple of whacks. When mine quit on the M813, Sarge told me to do that, so I banged it several times with a padlock (all I had with me at the time). It immediately started working again, been fine for 2 years.
Why would something "solid state" start working again by banging on it? Bad connection?
Bjorn, What is your take on this?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unknown, but it worked! I am an endless source of dumb questions, Sarge is my endless (and patient) source of intelligent answers.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, Sarge the Story Teller. He is my good friend and neighbour (the friend part came first and caused the second). He is very talented with machinery, electronics and computers. I, unfortunately, am not, but I'm slowly learning. I read the books, then ask him to interpret the parts I don't get. He patiently explains the very basic stuff to me. Calls me "Grasshopper" a lot for some reason......:)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelandcanvas said:
Why would something "solid state" start working again by banging on it? Bad connection?
Bjorn, What is your take on this?
As as stated, a bad connection could be fixed with a "wack".
The newer flasher units use a power transistor to do the switching and they are not easy to protect from overloads (the transistor itself is likely to fail before the protection circuitry has a chance to work). I took one new unit apart for my MVM article on this and found no protective circuitry what-so-ever, a shorted bulb would, and apparently did, blow the transistor in a millisec.
Do a search on this to see my relay solution....

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
chuck500cc said:
Yea sorry bout' that. I work in the service area at a car dealership and you get used to using third grade words with people who can't understand why thier car quits when it is out of coolant.Chuck XD Fan
It's absolutely amazing!! I often wonder how humanity has survived this long! I know of a girl who drove her car with the red "oil" light on. When the engine seized, and she was asked if she checked the oil, she said, "No." She did say the oil light was on, but thought it would, "get brighter before the oil actually ran out."

We live in a time when people change their flat tire with a cell phone instead of a lug wrench.

I could go on, but that's not the topic of this thread. Sorry to stray off-topic.

Banging on things (without going overboard) is amazingly effective on certain things.

There must be a stuck relay or something mechanical I would think.

sermis

I have my air assist lines running over the blinker wireing. Left turn does not work all the time. Lift the air lines and move the wireing and it works again. It is not always the flasher but sometimes the wireing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks