• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heaters

xyzzy

Hi!

I just purchased my first MV, a 1986 M1008 CUCV. I live in Aspen, Colorado currently, and figured I'm more than certainly going to need an engine block heater.

Did any CUCV's come with cold weather kits? Is there a specific CUCV engine block heater? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality one?

Thanks!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
xyzzy,
Welcome. That's the 6.2 diesel, right? I owned an 88 Sub that had the same engine and you could purchase a block heater directly from the local dealer. Wasn't cheap, like about $100, but if you look around I'm sure you can do better.

How's the snow up there this week? From the looks of things you folks got what we are about to see in the next day or so here in Denver.

Again, welcome. jim

n1vbn

I got my block heater freeze plug type from a local auto parts store for $20 600 watts replaced a freeze plug on the drivers side. Engine starts like summer at 10 below zero but still needs the glow plugs.

Just make sure you unplug the block heater before you start the engine. The vibration from the engine gas or Diesel is why most block heaters fail.

I use a Kats Part number 10612 600 watts freeze plug block heater. Turn it on and it will always start easily.

CCATLETT1984

I will be putting in a inline model from ssdieselsupply, its a 1500watt heater that goes inline with the heater hose that comes from the lower radiator. should make for almost instant heat too. get an outdoor timer too, set it for about 2 hours before you need to get up. There is no reason to run all night, two hours will be plenty of time to get it nice and warm.