• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Costs 5ton vs Deuce...

Chinookpilot77

This isn't so much a cost question as a cost observation...

It seems on paper that once you start adding bells and whistles to a project, the 5 ton would be the cheaper route...ie, stock power steering, no need to do suspension mods to fit the 16x20's, and readily available single wheels...

My only problem with going with a 5 ton vs a deuce isn't because of CDL or tag issues like a lot of folks, but this project will be primarily an off road vehicle and I can't imagine a truck weighing twice as much doing better off road.

If any of you have experience with both types of trucks in the nastiest of conditions, I would love to hear your tales of the tape!

Thanks for your time.

dm22630

Anyone here that likes a deuce better has never driven a 5ton. If they do, they wont like deuces anymore.

2cents

Bobbed 5 tons look better, drive better, have more power & will sink in the mud twice as easy! ;) haha

Chinookpilot77

Bobbed 5 tons look better, drive better, have more power & will sink in the mud twice as easy!

I think I totally and completely agree with that statement! lol

Its a damn shame I'm going for performance and not looks for this ride. Another thought for the future is a repower with a built 6bt cummins...WAY better gas mileage with a 12,000lb truck than a 20,000 truck.

(but damn those 5 tons do look nice as hell!)

Last edited:

Chinookpilot77

I doubt I'll be driving it long enough distances for it to matter a whole lot...the main reason for the 6bt would be a whole lot more power and (I think) a little less weight to boot...

Pappa-G

See if Rizzo has anything to say on the subject. He has a Duce that sees more mud than pavement. I'm sure he would have some valuable input.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going for performance, then you don't want a bobbed deuce or 5 ton. Buy a CUCV, preferably an M1028. Then, add a lift kit and some larger tires. I suggest adding an aftermarket transmission cooler and possibly a banks turbo kit.

Chinookpilot77

well there is a balance I want to maintain...and a CUCV tips the scale in the wrong way.

If I was going for all out performance, I'd just buy a jeep with a rock crawler suspension and call it good. I want a deuce or a 5 ton...just the better of the two.

yeager1

I've always wondered if the older 5 tons with the LDS would run better off road (especially bobbed) then the 800 series due to the lighter motor? Seems like the bigger, heavier and thirstier 855 motor would be a waste on a bobbed truck.

In a perfect world, or at least one with lots of money, a bobbed deuce with 5 ton axles and power steering would probably be best. The larger 5 ton hardware is unnecessary for a bobbed truck- or any truck that won't be worked constantly. Weight to traction issues could never be made as good with a 5 ton as the lighter deuce.